Melanie Hinman
Melanie Hinman
  • Bay City, MI

Penny Keepsake

My son and his wife blessed us with triplets last summer (woohoo!), and my crafty tween daughters wanted to make them something unique for Christmas. A co-worker gave me a great idea - wall hangings with the first initial of each of their names...made out of pennies from the year of their birth!! I thought obtaining the pennies would be simple enough, since they were just born this summer... I figured I
penny keepsake, crafts, repurposing upcycling, Teagan and Taylee hot gluing on the pennies
Teagan and Taylee hot-gluing on the pennies
I outlined the initials in pencil, to give the girls a guide, and they hot-glued the pennies, all head's up (to show the 2015 date), onto the pieces of scrapbook paper. We found this background choice worked well because the paper was heavy enough to support the weight of the pennies and the bulkiness of hot glue without curling or wrinkling...and the options for cool designs was plentiful.
penny keepsake, crafts, repurposing upcycling, Pint sized aunties pleased with their work
Pint-sized aunties pleased with their work!
A dot of hot glue on each penny held securely enough...and I suppose I should do the disclaimer: my girls are 9 and 11, but have worked with a hot glue gun before and were carefully supervised. Make sure you use CAUTION because burns can occur!
penny keepsake, crafts, repurposing upcycling, Finished
Finished!
I used a white Paint Pen to write out the rest of the names, and copper metallic Pen to add a shadow for a little dimension and add cohesion with the pennies! All that was left was to pop them into the frames. Not a bad Christmas gift...simple, unique, made with love, all 3 for under $25! And the best part? It took less than 2 rolls of pennies...so each baby gets an brand new unopened roll of pennies from the year of her birth as a bonus keepsake!

• Jessie Cushenberry

Beautiful ideas i must try some of them thanks for sharing

• Maude LaFountain

I love it !!! and Yes I was forever burning my fingers with the glue gun and I found the finger protectors at Hobby Lobby one day and used my 40 % coupon and they cost me like $2.00 maybe .....they are a God Send glad that someone came up with that Idea for sure .
    .