Sarah Nave
Sarah Nave
  • San Jose, CA
Asked on Apr 22, 2013

Garden Do Over

Sarah NaveDouglas Hunt

Any suggestions on Vegetables that do well in shady areas? My garden does not get a whole lot of sunlight through out the day, I do have some containers that I move around the patio but I would like to utilize my raised bed. Should I stick with flowers in the bed and veggies in the containers? Thanks!

Sarah, I think the question is how much shade you have. If you have all-day shade, there's little chance of growing vegetables successfully. If you have, say, at least three or four hour of sun, you could try arugula, various lettuces, greens like tatsoi and bok choy and mustard greens, and spinach.

• Sarah Nave

Thank you for the suggestions! I am going to hold off on planting in the ground, as we are actually looking to move in the place next door which has an actual backyard and WAY more sunlight during the day.