Donna McCrummen
Donna McCrummen
  • Bernardsville, NJ
Asked on Feb 3, 2012

Future Projects - Any color or finish, etc. suggestions?

62q10370829ConnieKackie3
+19

This is a huge Chiffonier
This is a huge Chiffonier
I love the detail on this one.
I love the detail on this one.
This has a beautifully carved mirror
This has a beautifully carved mirror
  • I would be hesitant to do anything with the last 2. The wood graining is so beautiful. It is already a piece of art.

• same...I'd clean them and leave as-is...the server is beautiful

• I'd just paint the first one and leave the rest along.

• Kmfuller

WOW...these are gorgeous. Other than stripping the varnish and reapplying a clear coat varnish, I would do nothing.

• Donna McCrummen

Wow, lots of wood lovers here. Where are my Shabby Chic friends? The chiffonier is worth much less as is than Shabbied - The bedroom (I also have the head and foot boards) are kinda beat up. Plus, I prefer not to stripper - gives me a headache. Yamini - what color(s) would you use? Which technique? I'll use ASCP

• Pam Y

Although, I like wood I would change the color. They all need a face lift but it depends on what color you like or where these pieces are going. I just painted a dresser a dark purple and it came out great. You do have details on the pieces so it doesn't have to be all one color the accents would be something different. The secret to a great finish is a clear varnish when you done. Have Fun

• Donna McCrummen

Thank you Pam. I sell these so I need to keep it neutral. I never use varnish. Too stinky - I use wax.

• Teresa D

I'm with everyone else ... I think they are all gorgeous an d I'd hate to see the detail in the last 2 covered up. I think the color would depend on where you were going to put it. Maybe do the first one in a dark, earthy color (brown, black, green) and add some bling (mirrored pieces, acrylic knobs, shimmery fabric to replace the existing)? I don't really have a great eye for refinishing things but maybe that will spawn some ideas?

• Pam Y

I think you'd all be surprised on how beautiful they can look being painted. I enjoy the my dresser and night stand so much more after I have painted them a fun color. Oak is beautiful on it's own for floors and trim but furniture can be painted and look better updated. Post the afters pictures when your done. I saw a similar one painted semi gloss black and it was outstanding painted versus not being painted.

• Peace Painting Co., Inc.

The dark piece could use a makeover. Beautiful pieces all. For a gentle refurb, try fine steel wool and handcleaner, then wax. CP

• Donna McCrummen

On the dark piece how would I get rid of a water ring? Looks like someone left a glass of sweaty water on it.

• Peace Painting Co., Inc.

If the ring is whitish, I've heard that denatured alcohol will help. If it is imbedded in there, I don't know of any way except to sand part way through and re-do the whole top with a gel stain or color varnish type product.

• Donna McCrummen

It is white - I heard mayo but really?????

• Donna McCrummen

Thank you Sheila - they are nice aren't they? The set is Nine pieces so it's been on hold in the back of the garage. The first one is huge - really huge - You would cover the mirror with fabric? The mirror is very old and discolored fabric is a fabulous idea thanks for thinking of it. I have china closet in the works AS paris gray and cream with a lovely fabric back.

• Donna McCrummen

Hello Inquiring Mind. My thought on Granny's old stuff is it's still Granny's old stuff if it's painted. You are right the family will enjoy it much more after it's upcycled to fit today's style. You should be a trend setter up there in the great white north and show everyone how beautiful a painted piece can be. Check out this William and Mary style 1920's breakfront. BTW, the finish is smooth as silk. I see you are in Mandan. My husband grew up in Williston - graduated from UND. Small world.

q future projects any color or finish etc suggestions, painted furnitureq future projects any color or finish etc suggestions, painted furniture
  • Marcia S

I'm a shabby chicer..not finding a lot here tho

• Meg S

That would make a great bar! I like art deco

• Denise

Its beautiful just as it is. I wouldnt change a thing.

• Thy1397022

Use as a cabinet for colorful china? Taller vases could go in larger side areas with coordinating fabric. .

• Kackie3

I saw some carved furniture recently where they had painted the bulk of the piece but left the carvings woodtone. They were beautiful! Since the center wood is so unique I would suggest leaving it unpainted and paint the rest of the pieces a neutral beige or white.

• Connie

The wood is beautiful and can be brought back. The better woods were used in furniture that wasn't painted. Looks like maybe mahogany? Maybe check the worth of restoring rather than painting before deciding? It's a beautiful piece!

• 62q10370829

i would clean it up and use a wax on them and not paint any thing on them. just stain any marks on them. they are so pretty as is.