Easy Pallet Wood Valentine's Heart

I can't believe it's already the end of January and Valentine's day is right around the corner. I don't do a lot of decorating for Valentine's Day but I do love a good pallet wood project and this one is no different.
This Valentine usually replaces my pallet wood Christmas tree at the beginning of January and stays up until summer.
Hearts...not just for Valentine's Day anymore.
Start with the backing...mine was 26x36, though any size will do to fit your space. I used thick and thin pallet wood, some so chewed up, they wouldn't be good for any other project.
To hold the pallet wood together, I used scrap wood nailed to the back. Each pallet piece got at least 2 nails where it hit the cross pieces. I used 1 inch finishing nails in a nail gun..so quick and easy. Could also use screws.
Turning my now connected pallet backing over, I made a heart pattern from newspaper. Now is the time to trim the heart until you like the way it looks on your backing.
Using scrap pallet wood, lay out your pieces to totally cover your pattern. The middle cut was made with a miter saw set at 45 degrees.
Take the pattern out from under the heart and place on top of your pieces of wood. Use the pattern to draw an outline on the outside of the heart then use a jigsaw to cut out the outline.
On one of my boards, I taped on stencil letters, only partially showing as if they were cut off another sign. That was just a personal preference, feel free to see all your "LOVE" or skip this step entirely. This was lightly spray painted.
The remainder of the heart was lightly painted with a slightly watered down barn wood colored red.
Edges of the boards were sanded before being nailed onto the backer boards.
For a little bling, added a couple of old rusty hinges. Still have questions, make sure you click on the link below for the complete tutorial as well as more pictures.
Still not sure, check out my other pallet wood heart complete with a love letter from my grandfather to my grandmother. You can find that here:
http://scavengerchic.com/2016/01/14/rustic-pallet-wood-valentines-heart/

ScavengerChic

• Diva of DIY

Love this! This will fit right in with my decor. Oh my diy list keeps growing! Thanks for sharing! My Facebook Diva's are going to love this as well.

• Dixie Belle Paint Company

This is so cute! Beautiful job! Check out Dixie Belle Paint Company's wonderful line of Chalk Mineral Paint. Dixie Belle Paint was formulated with high quality ingredients while taking out the need for sanding and priming! Wow that is so amazing! Dixie Belle Paint is the superior paint at a sweet southern price :) Happy Painting!