Cathy P
Cathy P
  • Hometalk Helper
  • Tewksbury, MA
Asked on Feb 3, 2012

Cut the rug or?

Home improvement specialtiesCathy PKMS Woodworks
+1

We had carpeting laid in our living room, and afterwards discovered that we were unable to open the front door! The entry door is steel and cannot be trimmed. I read somewhere about hinges that somehow " lift" the door up over the rug when opening it. Has any one heard of these, what are they called, and where can I buy them?
Thanks in advance!
  • KMS Woodworks

Cathy...I did some quick web research and the only one I found were for industrial type settings...there may be a residential version I just did not find it after a few minutes search. What I have done in some cases like this is to install a "tile entry" that both allows the door to swing freely and provides a more robust surface for muddy or wet boots etc.

• Cathy P

Thank you

• Cathy P

Thanks for the answers, but I'm still hoping for more ideas.

• you could also change out the sweep at the bottom of the door to a low profile sweep. I'm assuming it's catching by just a little bit? That could be your answer if you don't want to tile the entry.