Barbara H
Barbara H
  • Pittsburgh, PA
Asked on Feb 3, 2012

I need pros and cons on metal roofing rather than shingles for my roof.

Mohammad ZubairUserBetty Johnson
+37

My roof is leaking and was advised to look into metal roofing as a cheaper alternative.
  • Jimmy S

I would like to see the answers to this question as I was advised metal roofing would be more expensive. I love that John Deere green look I see on some houses

• Cool Flat Roof

Barbara - metal roof will not be cheaper - that is for sure. You may find guy that can do corrugated metal panels (R-Panel, v5 crimp, etc.) for slightly more than 40-50 years architectural asphalt shingles, but ... Corrugated steel roofs are attached with screws penetrating each panel in multiple spots. Also if your roof is anything but a straight gable ranch type roof, i would strongly advise against it. There are not good flashing systems for corrugated roofs - so skylights / dormers / valleys will all be held together with caulk - not a good idea on the roof. Generally, metal roof is double the price of asphalt shingles. Good luck.

• Terry S

we have a metal roof and i dont know if i would do it again . ours is 3 years old and a light color that shows dirt, which annoys me. i didnt see dirt on my brown roof :) also cant get on it if it is wet. so much for cleaning it :) it was also more expensive than a shingle roof. the only thing is they can go right over the existing shingles and dont have to tear off the old.

• Faidra at CA Global Inc

We have a metal roof and love it! As everyone has said it certainly was not cheaper initially, but our power bills went down about 30% and the warranty is a lot better and probably last longer than we will! we have a copper color roof that we absolutely adore, matches well w/rest of the home color and theme.

• Barbara H

Thanks for the answers, but I'm still hoping for more ideas.

• Ricardo B

In a rural setting, corrugated metal roofing homes really looks great, especially when there's another structure close to it with the same roofing material. I had a barn built and spent extra money to have the red corrugated panels put on it. I was intending to do the same with our home in front of it later. I've changed my mind, not because of structural soundness (I have NOT had a single leak in the barn roof). The bright and shiny red roof looked great for the first three years. Now it's been five years and the red has dulled. I have a big oak tree just behind it which provides nice shade to the area. Well, that diffused light has also caused the roof to get patches of mold/mildew. I suppose in an open area not close to trees it may work great for you, but I've taken my intention and placed it on a back burner for now, Barbara!

• KMS Woodworks

Check out this article I wrote...it may give you some more insight. http://www.networx.com/article/is-panel-roofing-for-you

• Ricardo B

I viewed this and your other pictures on your other posting, Interlocking Roofing. I like what I saw!

• Interlock roofing

We have a beautiful house in Toccoa GA! We just opened up GA a month ago- trying to get it going down there!

• Jimmy S

I also liked what I saw, however, throughout your whole post, you readily told us how much asphalt roofs cost, yet I didnt see anywhere how much metal or aluminum roof cost.

• Atlanta Reroof Specialists

The metal roof will last longer, but a quality metal roof will definitely cost more. If you are considering a metal roof, avoid options with exposed fasteners and stick with standing seam roofing or interlocking roofing like the guy above (not familiar with his product) or from decra.

• Pam

Lots more cost but will still be there when we're dead and gone.

• Goo4277654

Not true! And I swore that if I heard one more person say that I would SCREAM. Mine only lasted 10 years, and cost an arm and a leg.

• Michelle L. Thornton

This is all such helpful information. We have been looking in to alternative roofing ideas as well and we have been considering metal and even steel roofing. We had heard a lot about both but didn't know which one was best. All of these comments really helped us. Thanks for posting.

• Jensen Mott

I agree with Pam D. Although they are more costly, metal roofing will last so much longer. Roofing in Vancouver doesn't utilize this so much, but I know it is a more durable option. All of these comments are so helpful! http://www.affiliatedroofers.ca/

• Euroshake

If you choose metal use standing seam of highest quality you can afford. As a supplier for another product visit euroshieldroofing.com

• BeckonsAttore

Um. You don't think that the professional opinions and advice from multiple roofing companies wouldn't be good enough? Seriously? But judging from what I already know I think you'll prefer steel roofing. URL: http://metalroofoutlet.com/

• Barbara H

this was an old post, I am putting a shingle roof on. thanks for your input.

• Marlene Wilson

I live in W.Va. our home was built in 1988 with shingles that were supposed to last 25 years,they didn't and we went to a medal roof witch will last longer.It's great.Lots of colors too.

• Margin Adam

I am sure this post has helped me save many hours of browsing other similar post just to find what i was looking for. I just want to say thank you. http://www.floridaroofleak.com

• Margin Adam

• Samson

For the pros I would say a metal roof would be extremely conductive. For the cons, I would say that rain will sound like bullets on your roof. Go with a ceramic tile roof. http://www.aaa-roofs.com/aaa-roofs_016.htm

• Annie Green

I love the look of shingles, but I have a friend that loves her metal roof. I have never had metal, so I don't know a ton about the pros and cons of it. I will have to talk to her and ask her why she loves it, and if there is anything she dislikes. www.rippysroofing.com

• Bob

I have just installed a metal roof and can attest to the fact that it is actually quieter in a rain storm than my shingle roof was The cost was about 1/2 again as much as the installation of a shingle roof although that being said I did have some really silly quotes for prices amounting to more than double of what I payed and all the reputable contractors insisted the shingles be removed before installation of the new roof

• Loretta

We had a metal roof installed directly over the old shingles 10 years ago. We've never had a problem with noise from storms and on the good side our electric bill went down!

• Marlene Wilson

If you do the work yourself it's cheaper also.

• Elizabeth Poteat

I had to replace my roof after a hail storm and chose to go with metal because I wanted to hear the rain hitting on it like I remember from my Granddaddy's house a hundred years ago. Well guess what I don't hear the rain hitting it but I must tell you it is paying for its self with the savings on electric and gas (heat) bills. I love it and wouldn't change for anything.

• Laurie G

We use to have a metal roof. It really lasted..BUT I think it took away from the exterior beauty of the home.

• Jean Novotny

I agree with Tara; however, we put a metal roof on our 2 story log cabin & it looks great ! It isn't as noisy as I thought it would be ( darn it ) I remember how it used to sound, too. Maybe memory increased the sound...? But on the second floor bedroom it sounds louder, & we love it. We believe it has helped with electric bills.

• Robert McDaniel

Log cabins are great for metal roofs, especially for standing seam, which mixes nicely with the rustic look and feel of a typical log cabin. As far as durability and longevity metal roofs perform exceptionally well in extreme climates. As far as the noise, most roofs have deck with solid sheathing underneath, which acts as a sound barrier, along with the underlayment, and insulation in your attic: http://www.metalroof.us/top-60-metal-roofing-facts-consumer-purchasing-guide-2013/

q i need pros and cons on metal roofing rather than shingles for my roof, home maintenance repairs, roofing, A vertical panel metal roof on a rustic log cabin
  • Tara Tompson

I think whatever looks best with your house is what you should get. Roofs will always fall apart in the end! I like metal roofing for my house because it goes with the design. I could probably get other kinds if I repainted to match the roof.

• Ashley Reed

I was thinking about getting metal roofing instead of shingles, but I like the look of shingles better. I think metal roofs are a lot sturdier though, so if you live in a place that has a lot of storms, you might want to go with metal. It really just depends on what looks good with your house though, sometimes metal looks better! http://www.eburgexteriors.com

• Jane Fairfax

I am so glad you asked this question. We have been looking at different roofing materials. and we were torn between shingles and metal roofs. We like both ideas, so it was a tough call, but seeing all these answers has helped us a lot. I think we are about ready to make a decision. http://www.dixielandofal.com

• Habitat Restorer

We love our metal roof but be very careful who you hire. We paid full price for one and had to have it replaced by another company in less than 6 months. We posted a YouTube video which you can find by typing in "metal pro roofing" + "disaster" in Google

• Ani1575454

I live in Upstate New York in a log cabin ranch style house..I have a copper standing seam roof. I do not hear the rain on the roof probably due to the insulation nor does heat/sun cause any problems. We get lots of snow in the winter and the snow slides off slowly...It does not sound like a freight train like I have heard people say about their roof....I am unable to have gutters unless I take them down in the Fall and put them back up in late Spring...Not having gutters causes water to splash onto the bottom of my garage doors and causes water damage to them. I am in the process of having new doors installed...This will be the 3rd set in 33 years so it is not a huge problem. Pay attention to where the snow will slide off and onto what? The snow does a number to my shrubs every year but they seem to bounce back..Also I have to clear the snow away from my garage door opening after it slides to get in and out of the garage with my car..I have a skid steer so it makes quick work of it..The roof looks as good as the day it was installed. It should last my lifetime and was cheaper than having to re shingle a ranch style house twice since I figured that is what I would need to do before I am done living here...I would do it again!..Also make sure you put v channels/diverters above your vents/chimney so as the snow does not cause them to shift or worse yet ripped off. I bought the copper on the reels through a distributor,used my husband's pick up and landscape trailer to pick them up and found a contractor to make the panels here on site and he had the tools to crimp the seams like the old timers did...15 years later and my husband and I still love it!!

• Jack Moore

As far as I know, metal roofing is a little sturdier, and will stay in place longer, but it also requires slightly more intensive maintenance. If you're somewhere where storms and strong winds are common, it might not be a bad idea. But it's important to keep in mind that rain will be much louder than on shingles, so if that's a problem then shingles would work fine. http://www.ryanroofing.ca/en/roofing.html

• Beatrice Tangeman

With metal roofs, rain run off comes down very fast vs shingles which slow the pace. Depending on the type of roof pitch you may or may not have, be sure to have gutters placed where needed, water can be the enemy to your home. We love our metal roof.

• Betty Johnson

Metal roofing generally is thought to last longer. It doesn't wear away as easily as shingles. It would probably be a good idea to check with a reputable company to see if your roof is compatible with that kind of material. It tends to be a little heavier, so you have to make sure that your house can handle it. http://abspanels.net/

• Mohammad Zubair

This is a good and informative blog post. I have been bearing in mind different roofing options for my own home. Like many others, I too am exhausted of asphalt. I am considering getting a metal roof. I like that they offer a great deal of preservation and are environmentally friendly. I am getting roofing repair done and will have to see if that is an option. Is the metal roofs noisy when it rains? That’s one of my only disquiet.