Leslie D
Leslie D
  • Las Vegas, NV
Asked on Apr 23, 2013

Pottery Barn Find - Need Help in Painting Ideas

Sharron LindemannLeslie DKimberly C
+4

I found this great Pottery Barn Printers Cabinet (it's actually a file cabinet), on Craig's List for $100. I have 2 color pallets picked out, but can't decide which choice would be better and where to use the colors. I'm thinking about making the body (top and sides) one color, outlining each drawer with a different single color and then painting the drawer insets in the varying other shades, but can't quite decide...maybe I'm going in the wrong direction. Any ideas would be helpful. I'm stuck on this one!
All White Pottery Barn Cabinet
All White Pottery Barn Cabinet
1st Choice
1st Choice
2nd Choice
2nd Choice
  • Pepsigirl13

my recommendation would be a darker/lighter value on the same paint sample chip... remember the actual paint will be darker on your piece

• Kimberly C

I like your idea but I would paint the drawer insets in the same color as to varying colors since it sounds like you already have 2 color choices and keep the insets the 3rd choice otherwise it might start looking too busy. I would also recommend your darkest color on the top and sides, the outline color a step lighter and the insets a step lighter yet or the exact opposites. Jeanne's recommend is a good one.

• Kimberly C

PS my choice in paints is your #2 but them I'm not all that adventurous and I don't know what the rest of the room looks like that you're putting it in, #2 just seems like it might match more stuff. You really must post what you do though can't wait to see!

• Leslie D

This is the room it is going into. 2-tone gray walls, and touches of turquoise, yellow, black & white. It's going to replace the mid-century record player at the end wall of the 1st picture that has the yellow barware and bird sculpture on it. The only reason I thought about differing shades on the drawers is because I did an apothecary cabinet for my bedroom in varying shades (4th picture) and loved the way it turned out...but maybe it's a bit much for this room?

q pottery barn find need help in painting ideas, painted furnitureq pottery barn find need help in painting ideas, painted furnitureq pottery barn find need help in painting ideas, painted furnitureq pottery barn find need help in painting ideas, painted furniture, Not in this room this is in my bedroom
  • Kimberly C

First off, I love your style! 2nd the cabinet with the different color drawer fronts looks awesome, you did a good job of using the right color combo and hues, keeping it from being too busy, I think you need to go with your instincts since they are already so great, putting a little of that yellow in it that you have around might look pretty cool too, can't wait to see! you can always try a couple drawers and see what you think, that's the beauty of paint.

• Leslie D

Thanks, Kimberly! Like you said, it's just paint. Maybe I'll try the multi-colors and then tone it down if it starts to look too busy. My biggest problem seems to be that I don't know when to stop.

• Sharron Lindemann

Looks about the right sides for my sewing room as a cutting table