Is this the right way to get rid of mold??

+34
Answered
My owner found a leak in my cupboard over my dryer. I was upset because his approach to get rid of mold was to plaster over it. Will mold grow over plaster? Is this not healthy for a person living under these conditions?
q is this the right way to get rid of mold, cleaning tips, house cleaning
  17 answers
  • TwoPlusCute TwoPlusCute on Feb 01, 2016
    From personal experiences, mold will just grow under and eventually over plaster. The measures taken depend on the type of mold, at the very least a mildewcide, antimold treatment, fungicidal primer, and mold-proof paint is supposed to be applied. In case of dangerous mold (a test would help you determine if your mold was of the dangerous kinds) further measures are required, also depending on the extent of the spread. Hope it helps.
  • Dfm Dfm on Feb 01, 2016
    no.....absolutely not. it will just hide it for maybe a month or so. mold and mildew need a few things to live, dark, water and food source. if the leak is not fixed, or the wall is still wet.....it will be back. unfortunately the land lord i think has made things worse. can you call an expert in remediation for a consult? there are sometimes volunteers from the community who help with housing issues- is there a community center near by? sometimes the city health inspector is the one to call- i don't think they charge- but they might. if the mold issue violates city or state code they may cite the landlord for unsafe conditions. did you take pictures before it was plastered over?
    • See 4 previous
    • Susan Rutter Susan Rutter on Feb 04, 2016
      @Dfm Thank you -- this is good information to tell the owner when he comes.
  • Marlene Murray Marlene Murray on Feb 01, 2016
    It will come back. It should have been scrubbed with bleach, thoroughly dried, and then painted over with a product such as Killz. Your mold is still there, and will become visible in not a long period of time. and while it is black mold that is the worst, ANY mold is unhealthy to live with. If you rent, he is required legally to do a mold remediation.
    • Susan Rutter Susan Rutter on Feb 01, 2016
      @Marlene Murray Thank you Marlene. I see by everyone's response is to get the owner to do a remedy of the area. Also I will call the health inspector in my area. Such great insight everyone.
  • Is this the actual picture? Mold is unsafe but I do not see any signs of real mold which is a good thing. I would not worry unless the drywall is crumbling and turning black. I know this is not a real answer but if he plasters the area (after it has dried) uses a primer and paints it you should be find UNLESS there is an active leak and/or the mold is growing then you will see signs of mold coming through your paint. Then at which time you can force him to remove the parts that are full of mold and put in new drywall. Just watch the area for any signs but water leaks do not necessarily mean mold.
    • See 2 previous
    • Susan Rutter Susan Rutter on Feb 02, 2016
      @The Garden Frog with C Renee Yes! Unfortunately I did throw them out. Next time, and hopefully it will not happen again. Good idea. Vinegar is good for so many things. That is why I was so worried. It was in the cupboard and they are closed most of the time, unless I do not have any more towels in my other laundry cupboard. Will be looking. Will ask my sister to take a look.
  • Liliana Wells Liliana Wells on Feb 01, 2016
    If and when this happens again, point out to him that this affecting the value of his property. Speak to his pocket, then maybe he'll do something about it.
    • Susan Rutter Susan Rutter on Feb 01, 2016
      @Liliana Wells You are absolutely right! Money talks! Thanks Liliana I will surely keep this in mind when and if I see mold.
  • Susan Rutter Susan Rutter on Feb 01, 2016
    Thanks for your info. By your comment I feel the mold will continue to grow under plaster. I can only tell you is there was a leak from a pipe in between the roof and ceiling. It took them weeks to find the leak but at the same time the mold was in the cupboards. I told them they should not do that -- put plaster on top of mold. The owner took the cheaper way out. I am going to have to keep my eye on the problem and see if it grows from under the plaster. The type of mold I have no idea -- but if I need to take action, I know by your info the different types of mold. Thank you.
  • Katherine Katherine on Feb 01, 2016
    I don't think it is the dangerous blackmold. But it should have been disinfected before he repaired it.
    • Susan Rutter Susan Rutter on Feb 02, 2016
      @Katherine Thank you Katherine. I too believe it should have some type of disinfectant used. I am so happy with all the replies. It is helping me feel a little safer in my home.
  • Dottie Weirich Dottie Weirich on Feb 01, 2016
    If you have this inspected by a professional, which I highly recommend, you would be smart to ask your doctor about it's affects on you, your children and pets. It doesn't take much to affect the breathing, & causing headaches. Black mold starts as green and if not removed from said area will continue to grow. Call a city health inspector & ask your local certified mold remover company, they'll answer your questions and help educate. God Bless and please don't wait.
    • Susan Rutter Susan Rutter on Feb 02, 2016
      @Dottie Weirich Thank you Dottie. I have been worried about my health as I have an auto-immune disease. I always try to be careful about everything around me. With other comments, I will call the health inspector of my borrow. I have 2 cats which I am worried about also. From far the area infected did look brown - maybe this is mildew. No matter will take action. Thank you for your blessing.
  • Capernius Capernius on Feb 01, 2016
    Rule #1: When you have mold or mildew, covering it up will NOT make it go away....you have to kill the bacteria that causes the mold. Vinegar is my first choice. Rule #2: After you kill the mold, you have to be 100% positive that the area is dry(usually a few hours to MAYBE 1 day). Rule #3: after the area is completely dry, only then can you paint over that area....or use tape & mud if needed. If you do not follow these 3 steps/rules, the mold will come back with a vengeance.
  • Cheryl Gyles Cheryl Gyles on Feb 01, 2016
    Hopefully he repaired the leak better than his "plaster" job...but yes, the mold should have been treated before this repair. There are commercial sprays available that you can use on mold, or you can even make your own using household bleach diluted with a little water. Be sure to check this area from time to time because eventually the mold will probably come through his patch job.
    • Susan Rutter Susan Rutter on Feb 02, 2016
      @Cheryl Gyles Thanks Cheryl. Because my ceiling and bathroom were leaking water, they thought the roof had a leak. They redid the roof and it was still leaking. So you can image how much time had passed by. They only found out about 2 weeks later there was a pipe above the ceiling between the roof. This picture that I enclosed was the worse and started to form a huge bubble where the industrial masking tape was. He used a pen to piece the bubble and gushes of water came through. That is the only good thing the owner did. Now it was leaking in 1 location instead of 5. Horror story - fixed the leaking pipe.
  • Tessaroselyn Tessaroselyn on Feb 01, 2016
    wash some mold with Mr. Clean and get the BLACK mold professionally cleaned it is very dangerous for anyone to be near....but just covering it up is very unhealthy , report the owner to the health department if the mold reapers which I believe it will,, just keep a watch out and stay safe
    • Susan Rutter Susan Rutter on Feb 02, 2016
      @Tessaroselyn Thank you tessaroselyn. Your recommendations are exactly like everyone is saying, so I believe I got my answer. So many wonderful responses to my questions and I thank everyone.
  • Dottie Weirich Dottie Weirich on Feb 02, 2016
    Sue, IF this is true Black mold you'll have to leave while it is removed by professionals as Bleach WILL NOT take care only on the surface, allowing it to grow. Your land Lord should either pay for your time away from your home or pay for your move without fines or anything against you. PLEASE get the WRITTEN inspection report, sometimes you may have to pay for a copy borrow the money for the report if you have to.
    • Susan Rutter Susan Rutter on Feb 03, 2016
      @Dottie Weirich Thank you for this information Dottie. Again I am happy to hear of your recommendations. Will do exactly as you have stated. Thank you again. I think I have all the information now to move forward.
  • Susan Rutter Susan Rutter on Feb 03, 2016
    I have called a health inspector to come to see the damage of the mold area. Asked for a copy of his assessment. Called the landlord and he will be coming over to see the damage. If this mold is truly dangerous, then the owner will have to pay for a place to stay while they repair the damage. Will take lots of photos -- before and after. Such wonderful people offering their advice.
  • Capernius Capernius on Feb 03, 2016
    I'm a guy, but TY for the compliment.
  • Capernius Capernius on Feb 04, 2016
    To err is human, but to really mess things up takes a computer. :-)
  • Susan Rutter Susan Rutter on Apr 26, 2017
    Thank you for your advice.