Jessica C
Jessica C
  • Stoughton, WI

DIY Garden Head Project

$14.00

I used a foam mannequin head from the craft store and planted in it. I named her Betty Bling!
DIY Garden Head project
DIY Garden Head project
I started with a foam mannequin head, Magikote Foam Primer and Stone Metallic Spray Paint by Krylon. I named my head Betty.
Betty got two thin coats of primer. The primer seals the foam and creates a smooth surface to paint on.
I set Betty on top of an empty wine bottle filled with pebbles for drying.
Betty also got several coats of Metallic Stone paint. It was easy to paint her while she was sitting on the bottle. I liked her on the bottle so much I decided to keep her there.
When she was dry, I used a compass to draw a 6" circle on the top of her head. I hollowed out the planting cavity with a kitchen knife and made a hole for drainage. Then I planted her with a trailing succulent I found at Home Depot.
I added Betty's "Bling" with some old necklaces, glasses and even some rhinestone earrings (they were easy to stick into the side of her head). Betty was born! She sits on top of the buffet in my dining room. Thanks for reading!
Jessica C

• Stacy Hernandez

I tried this project and used spay paint primer and paint and it melted holes in the Styrofoam head! Any suggestions?
    • Lil21704200

You were suppose to use FOAM primer you put on with a brush. Try it again and use the stuff mentioned in the instructions.

• Lamonia Kohler

It is called MagiKote.

• Katrina

I need to hollow out the head but am finding it difficult and Im afraid of going into the outer shell. Do you have any tips please. My finished head ia for an art as therapy course and this will be my end piece for an exhibition

• Marylin

Live in Australia and don't have magiKote. Would you suggest something similar.

thanks

Marylin

• Barbara Barrett

Awesome !!! I am researching making these any tips for me ?

• Donetta Gott

You have to coat the head (before spray painting) with (I used as directions) MagiKote (2-3 Coats), bought at Hobby Lobby. If you don't, the paint will dissolve the foam. I spread the Magikote with an orange wood stick and small foam brush. Hold the spray paint a couple feet away when spraying the paint. Spray lightly and do more than one coat. I also used a couple of clear coats after spray painting. They went through the summer (sun) great and am storing in the basement for winter. In preparing the hole for pots I used a pot for size...used a grapefruit spoon and kitchen knife to dig out the top.

• Madeleine D

I bought 5 female heads and 2 male heads on eBay. Plan to have a whole garden of these except I'm going to cover the outside with hypertufa because I think they may last a lot longer and stand up to more abuse.