Donna McCrummen
Donna McCrummen
  • Bernardsville, NJ
Asked on Feb 4, 2012

Thank you Cassie B........

Karen GainesMary KerNovo Decor Co.
+9

for the color inspiration (I'm a copy cat) on this piece I just finished. I stripped the top - stained it with Minwax Provincial - painted 2 coats of Duck Egg ASCP - then I sanded to distress and smooth out any brush strokes. I mixed Howard's Feed and Wax with the Provincial stain and brushed it on applying a lot - I wiped it some and let it dry overnight then gave it a good buff. You like?
Credit to the lady (wish I could remember her name) who's blog gave me the idea of mixing wax with stain. What a great time saver.
  • Cassie B

oh wow! it was my blog post you saw, so just wanted to say thank you! :) so glad it inspired you- your piece looks amazing!!!

• I so admire this style! You did a wonderful job and I like the color.

• Donna McCrummen

Thank you Cassie! I love reading all the blogs about furniture painting. Mixing the wax and stain is a brilliant idea it worked out great. One less step. I'm having trouble with the texture of AS wax. It's so thick but Howard's is so thin. Do you think it's a good idea to mix the two? I was thinking Howard's and AS dark mixed to a nice workable soft paste. I prefer the way wax looks over poly. I ordered Briwax I'll try that one too.

• MONIKA U

HOW DO I DO THIS LADIES! HELP!

• Evelyn R

Shabby ... what was it in it's past life?

• Donna McCrummen

@Evelyn, URG I am usually so anxious to get started I forget to take before pics. It was a buffet - dark wood. I just gave her a facelift. @Monika, where are you located in MD? I do workshops - I'm hoping to be in the DC area sometime in May or early June. Or you can host one in your home. Email me for info. Donna@ShabbyDaze.com

• Sherry R

I love this piece. One of my absolute favorites. Thanks for sharing I want to know the brand of paint- Duck Egg ASCP!! Where can I find that color? Perfect-You did awesome job!! A++++

• The Space Between

This came out so, so great! That Cassie is amazing, such a great resource for inspiration of all kind. I'm sharing this on the hometalk pin board.

• Novo Decor Co.

What's duck egg ASCP? I am a rookie

• Mary Ker

I wanted to know about duck egg ascp, too.

• Karen Gaines

ASCP=Annie Sloan Chalk Paint. It's a special brand of chalk paint. Duck Egg, I'm assuming, is the texture and/or color of paint. Someone correct me if I'm wrong please.