Camellia sasanqua 'shishi gashira' is one of my favorite camellias because it blooms in December, January and sometimes

into February, adding a lovely bright color to the garden when there's usually nothing else blooming. Unlike most sasanquas, it has a dwarf, spreading habit reaching from 3.5'- 6' tall and wide. My mature Shishi Gashira is on the small side because I prune it once a year, immediately after blooming, to keep it full and compact. My neighbor's which was planted at the same time but has never been pruned, is the larger size and more wispy. I find a place for this plant in most of my designs. I love that it's also winter hardy and can be used in a part sun/part shade location.
Camellia sasanqua 'Shishi Gashira' - 3.5' mature size and shape if hand-pruned annually (immediately after flowering) to encourage compact, dense growth and tons of flowers!
Camellia sasanqua 'Shishi Gashira'
Camellia sasanqua 'Shishi Gashira', a prolific winter bloomer

That is a gorgeous camellia, H&G. In Central Florida at least the sasanquas seem to do better than the japonicas.

• Catherine M

I have had my Shishi Gashira for 5 years and after a light pruning after blooming each year, it is still small and the blooms are so vivid. So far no insects to speak of.