Bren Did
Bren Did
  • Papillion, NE

Upcycled Tin Lantern for Valentine's Day

$0.10

I found some adorable tin lanterns for sale online and knew I had to create a Valentine version. This easy DIY uses upcycled materials and can be completed in less than an hour!
Use a drill to make evenly spaced holes.
Find an empty tin can of your desired size. (My lanterns are made with empty tomato cans.) Tape on a pattern to make the drilling easy then make evenly spaced holes in the can. (Get the details and free PDF pattern in the my blog post.)
upcycled tin lantern for valentine s day, crafts, repurposing upcycling, seasonal holiday decor, valentines day ideas
Use a 5 inch piece of wire hanger to make a simple handle.
Supplies: a recycled tin can & a wire hanger
Check out my blog post for the easy trick that makes your wire the exact right size and shape for your lantern.
Easy wire handle from hanger.
Easy wire handle from hanger.
Bend the ends of the handle then attach to the can using pliers to bend and crimp the wire.
Tin lanterns ready for paint.
Tin lanterns ready for paint.
You can leave the lanterns their original metal color or paint them white with a bit of cheap spray paint.
Valentine Tin Lanterns
Valentine Tin Lanterns
Add candles or battery operated votives and enjoy your new Valentine tin lanterns! Get the full instructions, tips for drilling, and free PDF pattern at BrenDid.com.
Bren Did

• Mary Coakley

If you.do.not have a drill.could I.use.a nail head?
    • TeacherMama

I've done this with kids: fill a can with water, freeze, tape pattern to the can, use a small nail for finer work and a bigger nail for bigger holes. We made Christmas luminaries. I love the addition of the handle; haven't tried that yet.