Modern Wood and Acrylic Shelf

January is the perfect time to get the house in order, so I challenged 8 of my DIY blogging buddies to come up with their best organization projects.
I love the clean, modern look of acrylic and I'll always have a soft spot in my heart for stained wood. Why not combine them? Clear acrylic, warm wood, and a matte black towel bar all come together to create a large shelving unit, which doesn't take up too much visual space.
Before I could put the shelf together, I sketched up a set of building plans to follow.
The whole unit went together in a couple of hours. I was able to buy the acrylic sheets pre-cut and the only tools I needed were a circular saw and a drill.
I found cool little screw head covers that hide my screws in plain sight and even add a little decorative detail.
The towel bar is simply a piece of closet rod spray painted black. To hold the bar in place, I drilled 3/8" holes, just outside the acrylic and tapped in a 3/8" dowel.
Mounting the shelving unit was pretty simple. I screwed four, 3/4" L-brackets to the wall, using drywall anchors and then, attached the brackets to the underside of the wood shelves, using 3/4" wood screws.
This challenge involved 9 DIY bloggers. Projects like a battery organizer, a dresser turned shoe organizer and other creative ideas to help you get organized!
Click the blog link below for FREE building plans and to see the 8 other awesome projects my friends came up with!

Super Cool Painting Techniques You've Probably Never Seen!
15 Unconventional Ways To Use A Tomato Cage
3 Easy Ways To Upgrade Your Pillows To A High End Look
15 Easy & Colorful DIY Projects For Your Home
15 Amazing Things You Can Do With Paint Stirrers
30 Jaw-Dropping Decorating Techniques You've Never Seen Before
Cuddling Up At Home With A Bottle Of Wine? Then Try These Projects!
Elisha PneumaticAddict

• Nancy Zorn
    Nancy Zorn

What kind of drill bits did you use for the towel bar holes and screws? So as not to crack the acrylic?

• Regina
      Regina

If you go to his webpage, he provides all the details missing here. It states: 1-3/8 fortsner drill bit; 3/8 drill bit.

• Donna
    Donna

If the dresser is turned on it's side, how do you utilize the drawers that have the opening on the left or right side (depending which way you turn the dresser)?

• Tammy Roads
      Tammy Roads

This project is a acrylic shelf. There is no dresser in this project.

• Jos21444234
    Jos21444234

Where were you able to find the acrylic panel? and those screw top covers!!!
    Really nice! Did you find these online or a regular hardware store? Love the cool, modern look with the combination of the wood, acrylic and metal.