Pallet Wood and Sticks Valentine's Heart

Normally I don't do much decorating for Valentine's Day but I do love a good pallet project and for me hearts are not just for February.
Ever since I decorated a salad bowl with sticks, yes a salad bowl, I've been wanting to tackle another sticky project.
Start by laying out a square of pallet wood. This square is 19 x 19.
Attach cross braces from the back either with screws or nails.
With newspaper or other large paper cut out a heart shape just a bit smaller than your pallet square. With a pencil, trace around the heart onto the pallet wood.
The semi-box is cut from two pieces of pallet wood. The height of the upright piece is the same height as the sticks, so if you make your sticks 1 inch make the upright pallet piece 1 inch. If you want your sticks to be 1 1/2 inches make the pallet piece 1 1/2 inches.......
The hinged pallet piece should be the same height as the first piece you cut, but it can be any width you like. Attach your hinge.
On a chop saw, start cutting your sticks. Most of my smaller sticks were part of a wisteria vine my hubby chopped back in the fall. The wisteria vines worked well because they don't have a lot of nodules on them. The larger pieces were just some sticks picked up in the woods that were weathered smooth and had lost their bark. The smaller the sticks you use, the more cutting you'll have to do. Just warning ya, you're gonna have to use a bunch.
For however long you want your sticks, mark it off with tape on the chop saw so that all your sticks are roughly the same size. I found it easiest and quicker to cut several at the same time.
The sticks and the box are glued in place with a glue gun. I started out with the thicker sticks then filled in with the smaller ones. Once you start gluing, the heart comes together super quick. Keep gluing until the entire heart is filled in.
Use the box to store any little trinket, treasure or piece of chocolate.
Hearts...not just for Valentine's day anymore.

Need a bit more inspiration? You can find my last 2 pallet wood hearts here:
http://scavengerchic.com/2016/01/14/rustic-pallet-wood-valentines-heart/
http://scavengerchic.com/2015/01/12/pallet-wood-valentines-day-heart-diy/
You can find the full tutorial at the link below.

ScavengerChic

• Jean C Andrews

Where do I find a chop saw?
    • Sky22975137

You can also rent one if you don't want or need one full time

• Jean C Andrews

I love this!! You could make a American flag ! Wouldn't that be neat? Where do I find a chop saw?
    • Artemis

Home Depot, Lowe's, etc. Good saws are not cheap but if you're seriously in the market you should splurge. There are a lot of different features available for the various types of chop saws (a.k.a. Miter Saw, Cut Off Saw . . .) be sure to get what you will need for potential projects. This is an investment, so do some research.
  • Jab33553948

How do you do that.

• Artemis

Very cool and lots of variations in how to use the little "stumps".
  • Julia

That is a beautiful creation.