Easy China Cabinet Update, Fun With Polka Dots

$150

I found a china cabinet on a FB group page. I kept looking at the post, all while trying to figure out where I could put the cabinet in my own house. I fell in love with the lines and bow from of the cabinet. It was in rough shape. The previous owner, had planned on redoing the cabinet herself, but ended up not having the time. They stored it in the garage with gardening chemicals and other garage items. The hardware and doors had all been removed, but thankfully they were in pretty good condition.
I had considered not painting the cabinet. I had a vision of what I wanted it to be. I wanted to add some fun and whimsy to my dining room and polka dots with old white paint seemed to be the logical combination.
I primed the entire cabinet, due to the stain used on this furniture back in the day. I gave the piece 2 coats of primer and 4 coats of paint before it was completely covered.
I added the stencil detailing with a stencil from DecoArt. For the stencil I used Naval by Sherwin Williams. This is the same color that is painted under my chair and also the top of my tray ceiling in the dining room.
I cleaned the hardware to bring it back to it's original look. This was the most challenging part of this makeover. It required a lot of hydrogen peroxide, vinegar, baking soda and finally Bartenders Keeper. I used a toothbrush and scrubbed for hours to get all the hardware back to its beautiful original look.
I know there are always people who don't think wood should be painted. This piece is not an antique and for my dining room, this was exactly the piece I needed. It looks great in the room and I couldn't be happier with the outcome.
For more in-depth information please visit the blog post:
http://www.mypassionfordecor.com/2016/01/vintage-china-cabinet-makeover-off.html
unfolded
I have a love affair with polka dots and the Eiffel Tower
That bow front....Love it
My favorite part of this piece, the original locking skeleton key!
Restored hardware
Restored hardware

30 Adorable DIY Ideas For July 4th
Cuddling Up At Home With A Bottle Of Wine? Then Try These Projects!
15 DIY Projects That Will Make You Say "WOW!"
3 Weird Step-by-Step Ways to Decorate Your Plain Tea Towels
18 Stunning Backsplash Ideas You Do Not Want To Miss!
18 Wintery Wreath Ideas That You'll Want To Make For Your Home
Do You Want to Make Over a Room in Your Home & Add Gorgeous Built-Ins?
Check Out These Wonderful Gift Ideas You Can Do All By Yourself
30 Ideas To Make Your Office Look Great
15 Genius Hacks to Keep Pests Away
31 Astounding Things You Didn't Know You Could Do With Contact Paper
15 Memorial Day Crafts
Melody

• Patsy47

ADORABLE!! love polka dots, they just make me grin whenever i see them! also, thecreamy white is beautiful, i feel it brings out the lovely details of this piece....people should chill, paint is NOT the enemy....many times it is the saviour for tired , unloved and funky bits of furniture....super well done...thumbs upfor sure! 👍😍

• Tammie

Fantastic! Love the skeleton key, the hardware redo, the colors, the polka-dots------you did a mahvelous job, Dahling!!!