DIY Valentine's Centerpiece

Creating your own fresh flower centerpieces are easier than you think. Many grocery stores have all the flowers you need to create a stunning arrangement in your home. I put together a few of my own and have broke it down into steps so you can make them too.
diy valentine s centerpiece, seasonal holiday decor, valentines day ideas
Gather your supplies
Most craft stores carry floral supplies. Pretty Candlestick
Oasis Wet Foam Blocks
Oasis Waterproof Green Wet Foam Tape
O'DAPTER Holder or Tower Insert
Cling Floral Adhesive (optional)
on The O'DAPTER Holder... This a floral tray with a rubber nub adapter that fits securely inside the candle stick. If you cannot find one at your local craft store try an online floral supply shop. You may have to check a few sites so you don't have to buy a whole case of them. Another idea would be to go to your local florist and ask to buy one. Last but not least, don't be afraid to improvise. I reused one I had on hand. I did go to my local craft store looking for a new one but didn't see them this time. I found a similar tower insert. If I hadn't found an old one in my basement craft hoard, I would have used the tower insert. The nub on the tower insert was slightly too big for my candlestick but I would have made a vertical cut in nub with an x-acto knife and crammed that puppy in the candlestick hole. The floral stick adhesive would help here. Whatever works right?!
Prep your flowers. The key to lasting flowers is prepping them by cutting at least an inch off the bottom in a pan/sink of WARM water.
After you have prepped your flowers, keep them in a small bucket of water near your work surface.
Now soak your foam in the water and then tape it down to your floral tray.
Arranging time. Always start with greens first. Here I put a small amount of leather leaf fern around my base and a few in the middle.
Next I added Italian Ruscus. Its pretty common and easy to find but you can substitute another leafy option if you have to.
I looks kind of scary but trust me, it works out.
Now you are ready to add the flowers. Add 6 red roses, 5 around the base and one at the top center.
next I added 4 white roses.
Now add 4 white Roses and 4 red roses above
Now tuck in-between the roses some sprigs of the hypericum. That is the pink berry stuff you see there. Yep, that was at the grocery store too. But keep in mind if you need to substitute just find something similar to the shape of the flower you are replacing and it should work well in the arrangement
Lastly, fill in the gaps with red and white mini carnations. Once you are done, you can do a little adjusting but keep in mind too much re-arranging and poking and the Oasis foam will begin to fall apart.
How about a valentine dinner with that as the centerpiece!!!!
Paint Yourself a Smile

• Cindy Thomas

How would you use the bowl? " tower insert " design bowl.

• Paint Yourself a Smile

Thanks Cindy. No I haven't tried that. I don't do a ton of flowers, I'm more of a painter. I have seen the balls though and like them. I may have to get one to play with. I am assuming you are thinking of using the ball like a topiary? my fear with the ball is the weight of it when you have it soaked in water. It seems like you would need a tray and base either way if you want it elevated. I think the o'dapter would hold a ball well. I would love to see your creation when you try it. :)

• Anna Reinhardt

YOU SHOULD DO VIDEO AND PUT ON YOU TUBE. NOT A QUESTION BUT A SUGGESTION. I WISH I HAD THIS A WEEK AGO. THANKS. ANNA