Pennymclaughlin2
Pennymclaughlin2
  • Shelton, WA
Asked on Feb 3, 2016

Glue to hold rocks together

MadmckTia BallardCharles L.
+27

I want to make a sculpture of sorts with favorite rocks that I have collected. I have tried several different types of glues with no luck so far. The main problem is that they do not hold together fast enough without holding them together somehow as they dry because they will not be flat sides I want to hold together. Does anyone know how fast Gorilla glue takes to be stabilize so I can go onto the next rock? Thanksy so much, Penn
  • Leslie Conterman Lanning

How about Gorilla Glue......worked on my front steps regluing large flagstone.

• Kayo Frazier

You can try E6000, or Weldbond both can be found at Michael's

You did not specify if this was for outdoor use, however I think you best choice would be an epoxy based glue either JB Weld or Loctite.

• MN Mom

E6000 would work. The amount of glue applied will determine the time it takes to dry. Example: a bit of glue will dry much quicker than a large amount. You could also mix up a small batch of Quik-Crete and use it like a mortar for a larger project.

• PJ Kelley

We bought a concrete angel statute to put in our garden that had the bottom broken off. Used epoxy and glued the bottom on. That was MANY MANY years ago and LOTS of bad weather. It's still holding.

• Kathie McCarthy

E600 is a great glue, but you can also use silicone caulking; the same stuff you would use around your sink. It sets up fairly fast; is impervious to the weather, and can be taken off with some determined effort, but holds well if not .

• Kerri Yandell

Clear silicone or Liquid Nails

• DORLIS

CREATE A SMALL MOUND AND PLACE THE ROCKS IN BETWEEN SMALL ROCK GARDEN PLANTS THAT WILL NOT HIDE THEM. INCLUDE A BOUT 2" OF A SHARP GRAVEL IN YOUR SOIL, MIX IT IN FOR GOOD DRAINAGE. I HAVE DONE THAT WITH ROCKS COLLECTED OVER THE YEARS. JUST REMEMBER TO USE PLANTS THAT ARE NOT AGGRESSIVE GROWERS SO YOU CAN STILL SEE THE ROCKS. yOU COULD INCLUDE A BIRD BATH FOR THE BIRDS AND BUTTERFLIES.

• Barbara

I'd go with silicone caulking. I've used E600 for jewelry making and it provides a tight bond but the caulking would be more economical and is usually weather proof in case your project ends up outside. Liquid nails might also be a workable alternative.

• Shelley S

If you want them held together put the glue on and then use hot glue dabs that will hold them in place while the liquid glue dries.

• Gail@Purple Hues and Me

Silicone adhesive is the best! I just finished a craft project where I glued small pebbles to glass vases. I started using E6000 first but the glue actually ran and didn't hold the small rocks together. I quickly switched to Dap brand silicone I found in my husband's workshop and had no problems with adhering and setting up. I'll be posting this craft on Hometalk this morning.

• Leslie Conterman Lanning

Well, as for the Gorilla Glue.....ask any of your friends if they have any glue to do a trail test.....if it works return their glue and run and buy some. Try to find a way to prop up the stone while it dries like a small box with top and bottom removed. If there is a will, you will find a way.

• Tina Hill

one thing i do know is GorilLA Glue SWELLS UP ....my son glued pennies together and it became a serious mess, that was 10 years ago and those pennies are still glued to the window sill and the glue swelled up out from between and all around those pennies ...with gorilla glue LESS IS MORE

• Ethna

I agree, Gorilla glue holds up really well, however it seeps out between the rocks it swells as its curing, can make a mess. I will try the suggested silicone method.
  • Lee

I am in the midwest with all sorts of weather and I have used outdoor clear silicone caulking outside on several things years ago and its still glued today. I have big fat ceramic birds on top of fence post top, cement statue glued to a cement stepping stone so it will not tip over, did years ago and still holding outside. I learnt the 'hard way' to stay AWAY from Gorilla Glue (it ozzed all over and ruined the project)

• Lee

@DORLIS HI. I believe any caulk will work . My cement 3 foot tall girl, I used caulk on her base that is on top of a cement patio brick 12X18". a twist on gazing balls, I took a bowling ball covered in spackle, painted, put on a rebar rod and they have floated in place for years…..Your raccoon's bowing game will have to move to another location,,,,,

• Stephen Gina Stafford

I have the ultimate answer!
    It's called...........STICK-IT!
    It is a Breakthrough Adhesive! A clear & ODORLESS, no VOC, 2 minute FAST SET Permanent Bond! It is easy to use and is NEW on the Market and to the Craft World.
    Contact me! Gina@softjamb.com

• Doug

There is know question about it loctite comes in a caulking tube . It holds right now, it drys so hard and perminant it will blow your mind. Indoors , outdoors I find it will hold just about anything but it's really hard to get off so use sparingly. Oh one tip use a small amount on each piece to be glue then smash together. I love the stuff. But for flat rocks such as granite or marble use epoxy you can get it at any place selling granite and it will make two pieces one. Its sold in quarts or gallons.
  • Gur10954404

Clear Gorilla glue
  • Lucas

it is really fast
  • Charles L.

I use Krazy Glue for everything. I mount my orchids to driftwood and cork using that glue. I always use the gel, don't use the clear runny one. My advice is to get a spray accelerate which will make the glue almost insta dry. Also water makes Krazy Glue dry faster. I believe it's the same for Gorilla but not 100% sure. I always wipe down the surface using a wet rag, and then lightly dry. The surface shouldn't be wet, but also not bone dry.
    Hope this helps,
    Charles
  • Charles L.

I just did a little experiment. The Krazy Glue glued two stones together, and it took a considerable amount of force to separate them. I ran the same experiment with Gorilla Glue and it didn't work at all. There was no bond, and the rocks came apart with a little poke. I haven't used Gorilla Glue enough to say 100% that it can't, perhaps this was a fluke. I tried this test on a couple different rocks, and used the same amount of glue(about 1/4 pea). If you must use Gorilla Glue, perhaps if you used more it would hold. But from this test and everything else I use Krazy Glue for:

*Krazy Glue does form a bond between two rocks

BTW I buy my Krazy Glue from Lowes. I have never seen it at Home Depot
  • Tia Ballard

Sometimes with stone the problem Iv had is( I used good adhesive) if the stone is some type of sand stone, after almost a year , you can actually pull the rocks apart, because the top layer of the stone comes apart from the rocks itself not from the glue bond, the bond remains super durable, but the top layer of rock comes off. So the only solution for this is to clear coat the stones. So my question is what clear coates can be used with what adhesives? Answer/ question

• Madmck

I have two layers of long bricks surrounding a very large sycamore. A squeeze of Liquid Nails has kept them standing firm for three years. For small stones, you would have to find the meeting place, and I don't know how high you could stack them. I used the vinyl squeeze tube, but it also comes in a tube for use with a caulking gun.