Antonio G
Antonio G
  • Woodstock, GA
Asked on Feb 7, 2012

Interested in doing my backyard with paver etc. need ideas

Artistic Paver Mfg.Antonio GSouthern Trillium LLC
+4

Want to do my yard with pavers trees and etc. hard scape
  • 360 Sod (Donna Dixson)

There should be some Hometalkers that are in your area that can help you out Antonio. Just do a search at the top of the page and some should pop up. If not let me know I also know some contractors up that way.

• Miriam I

This post may give you some ideas: http://www.hometalk.com/activity/127634

• What do you have currently? What looks impress you? Do you have photos of projects similar to what you are looking for? These all will help with getting responses that will be on target with your needs. Although you are considering pavers, if you have a concrete slab, there are many other options, including staining and engraving. Would love to chat about it with you, my contact info can be found in my profile. Never a fee to chat !

• David S

ANTONIO ......NOT TOO LONG AGO SOUTHERN TRILLIUM POSTED SOME GREAT PHOTOS OF THEIR PAVER WORK .

• Southern Trillium LLC

Antonio, pavers are a great way to improve a backyard. They are more homeowner friendly than natural stone. Some of the reasons are that the pieces are easier to handle and set than large pieces of natural stone, which can be very heavy for someone not used to that type of work. Also, the uniform thickness of pavers makes them easier to set. The major work needed is excavating the area, usually done to about 6" deep. The base is then built up with crushed stone. You will need to rent a compactor from a local tool rental, you can rent by the day or by the week. I am not sure what the current rentals cost, maybe around $70 per day. You will use the vibratory plate compactor to compact the base. The only other tools you will need are some 1" pipes, a 2x4 board, and some levels. With all your sand bed screeded, you can then lay out your pavers. There are patterns and style you can lay that require not cutting. The compactor is used to bed the pavers into the sand layer. That is the hardest part of the installation, plus a few other details. The main thing to consider is that you do not want to install a patio near a large existing tree. The amount of excavation can do a lot of harm to a tree's root system and you could possibly bring a tree to its death. If the tree survives, you then run the risk of watching your nice patio lift up from tree roots pushing from below. For more design information, you should look for a designer or architect to assist in laying out your backyard. There is no right answer, and if you talk to 5 different people, you should get 5 different answers and designs. Any plant recommendations will be specific to your site, based on light conditions, mature size, and what goal the tree is serving. Some trees are chosen for pretty flowers, others for shade, while others for beautiful fall color. Hope this helps steer you in the right direction.

• Antonio G

Thanks for the answers, but I'm still hoping for more ideas.

• Artistic Paver Mfg.

Hi Antonio! That's great! Visit our website http://www.artisticpavers.com and you'll get great ideas for your project. make sure you watch the clip and take a look on our galleries. We have tons of pictures! And if you need any help choosing, please contact us!