Satya K
Satya K
  • Lawrenceville, GA
Asked on Feb 7, 2012

Why my 6 years old Apple plant not blooming?

Ellen BeenerRicardo BWalter Reeves
+9

• 3po3

Do you mean the tree is not blooming flowers or bearing fruit? And has it never bloomed? I know temperature can be an issue. Apples like some cold to stimulate blooming. It sounds like it has been a warm winter down there, but that doesn't account for 6 years.

• Satya K

Yes not blooming flowers at all. When I bought its full of flowers, after that it never blooms. we bought the plant in 2006 . Whereas other plants like plum,apricot,peach plants blooms and bearing fruits.

Satya, do you know how old your tree was when you planted it? It can take up to five years for a young nursery-grown apple tree to bloom. Is it in full sun and is it getting adequate water? Do you know what type of apple you have?

• Satya K

Its 1 year old plant

If it was 1 year old when you bought it perhaps this will be the year. Does it otherwise seem healthy? Has it been growing well?

• Satya K

Its so healthy and growing well, almost reached 10' feet height.

• Tina D

Don't some apple trees need to pollinated by another to bloom? Maybe buy another one and see what happens.I also use those spikes in the spring for flowering trees.

• Walter Reeves

apples don't need pollination in order to bloom...but they do need pollen once the flowers have opened. My bet is that it is still establishing a good root system. Make sure to fertilize it regularly to get a big set of leaves on it.

• Satya K

I do fertilize regulary, plant is very healthy and good leaves too. Is there anything else I do Mr.Walter Reeves?

• Walter Reeves

Just gotta wait until the plant is happy enough to bloom!

• Ricardo B

Some years ago when I was still living in Fayette County, my Granny Smiths would bear leaves but no flowering or fruit. I moved them to make way for my new free-standing garage. Guess I accidentally transplanted them where they either liked the different soil or got just the right kind of sunlight.

• Ellen Beener

Sometimes plants just do not like where they are planted. Also plants love company just like people. Plant another more mature apple tree next to it.