DIY Colander Planter

$5.00

One of my pretty little colanders that I loved for rinsing small berries and veggies started chipping and rusting, and I thought I might have to throw it away until I saw Country Living's April 2015 issue included the cutest DIY Colander Planters. I couldn't wait to finally try this idea myself!
Step 1: Cut out a circle of landscape fabric to put in the colander so dirt doesn't pop out the holes when you water it. I just eyeballed mine and did a little trimming to help it fit.
Step 2: Place flowers {I used Purslane} into colander, knocking off dirt from the bottom if it's too tall to fit. Then sprinkle dirt inside to fill the rest of the planter. I always seem to make such a mess doing this!
Step 3: Cut a LONG piece of Jute string to tie on one corner of the handles, wrap around handle to cover, and knot again. Leave as much excess as you want for the planter to hang, and tie a knot on the opposite corner of the other handle. Repeat wrapping on other handle, knot at the end, and if you have enough left, bring over with enough excess to knot where you first started.
If needed, you can tied another knot in the string above the planter for added security.
Step 4: Put hooks into the ceiling, if needed, and make sure to use drywall hangers to secure hooks that are not screwed directly into a stud. Then water plant and arrange or "fluff up" where you accidentally mangled it trying to plant, and hang for all to see!

30 Amazing Ways To Organize Your Shoes
15 Kitchen DIY Ideas That Will Come In Handy
30 Great Mason Jar Ideas You Have To Try
30 Unbelievable Backyard Update Ideas
Check Out These Wonderful Ways To Decorate Your Plain Mugs
Here's How You Can DIY The Hottest Home Decor Trends of 2018
Beautify Your Home With These Flower Ideas
Kalynbrooke

• Ornithic
    Ornithic

Does water drain freely through the landscape fabric or do I have to poke some drainage holes in it first?

• Stolzy
      Stolzy

We saw the same Country Living ;-)

Mine hangs in the kitchen. Dripping isn't a problem. There's a big umbrella tree plant under it that loves leftover water.

• Tina Guhr
    Tina Guhr

When you water it, does the water come out of the colander holes?

• Kalynbrooke
      Kalynbrooke

A little bit. That's why we hang them in our lanai so dripping is okay.

• Jean Rye
    Jean Rye

what is the name of the plant in the collander

• Stacey O
    Stacey O

Did this two years ago with succulents. Once it filled out, it was super cute.

, When I first put it together
  • Stephanie
    Stephanie

Love this. I have two beautiful colanders: one that is chipping & one that has lost a handle. I need to copy your idea. Thanks!