Mary Insana
Mary Insana
  • Pittsburgh, PA

Another Solar Light In A Jar

$4.00

A big thank you to Lovedecor for inspiring me to make solar lights in jar. This is my twist on your idea, THANKS again for your inspiration
I found solar lights at Walmart that were pretty much the same size as the top of a canning jar. I bought a box of a dozen clear generic canning jars at Walmart. And I bought bags of flat florist gems at the dollar store.
I removed the cylinder with the ground
The solar light was almost the same size as the jar ring
***UPDATE Don't hot glue gems to the outside, they may fall off :(
The solar light was almost the same size as the jar ring ***UPDATE Don't hot glue gems to the outside, they may fall off :(
This is after glued flat sided gems around the jar ring and around the little edge on the bottom of the clear part of the light. This little part was where the cylinder and spike were to put the light into the ground.
Close up of the gems.
Close up of the gems.

• Maria

Folks, all these solar lights have rechargeable batteries. My solar lights use 1 2A battery, so when the Dollar Store or Walmart have theirs on sale, if they have the same type battery, I buy those and replace the batteries on my more expensive solar lights. But even at that, if you have the cheaper lights and you have them all glued/affixed to containers, all you have to do is change the battery and they'll be good as new.

• Mary Insana

Maria, a lot of people don't know that and throw their solar lights away. I have had one of the original ones I made outside all year round even in our harsh Pittsburgh winters and I haven't replaced the battery yet. I pretty surprised at that.