Katherine A
Katherine A
  • Southern Pines, NC
Asked on Feb 8, 2012

Sheet copper and tin topped outdoor furniture.

Macy Kalmanson WidofskyWoodbridge Environmental Tiptophouse.comKatherine A
+1

Nudder project: My wrought iron patio furniture has lost its glass tops in this recent move. I want to wrap plywood in copper and/or tin for a sturdy outdoor application and a weathered look. Alternative would be painted wood tops. Advice, ideas?
  • KMS Woodworks

Mosaic tile is another common route with these types of tables

• Katherine A

That was my original thought. I've done lots of research on outdoor mosaic applications. My money isn't what it used to be, so I'm thinking maybe just paint. I have tons of great ideas and wish lists, but I don't have any help, or the right tools, or the right space to bring any of it to fruition.

• If doing a tile mosaic tops the budget, forget about using copper. It would end up costing you 10 times more. I am with KMS. You do not need to purchase a mosaic pattern. You simply make your own. By buying all sorts of colored tiles and breaking them into smaller pieces you make your own pattern. Its a great get your kids involved type of project if you have them. And can personalize your table to your decor. What may determine what you do also may be the size of the table you want to cover. Glass may not seem so expensive or heavy if the top is really large. Good luck and keep us posted on what you decide to do.

• Macy Kalmanson Widofsky

If you're doing a mosaic top, the dollar store where I live has bags of pebbles, tiles, and glass stones for $1 ea. That's a reeeeaally inexpensive way to get a nice look!