Asked on Feb 8, 2012

Centipede Grass and Weeds

PattyBarry BWalter Reeves
+4

Now that my centipede grass has gone dormant and turned to brown, I get a better idea of my weed issues. I was going to spray the affected area with Ortho Weed Be Gone. Does anyone agree or have a better solution? Ironically a much larger area of centipede lawn adjoining the section shown in the photo does not have this problem.
  • Walter Reeves

Be sure you're using Weed B Gon for Southern Lawns and apply exactly as the label says....not too much. Remember that a vigorous lawn is the best weed control. Get the soil tested and fertilize as recommended to help the grass control the weeds.

• Barry B

Thank you for the advice I will follow it very carefully. I have been under the impression that Centipede should not have any fertilizer applied to it, am I wrong?

• Walter Reeves

no - centipede needs fertilizer, just not as much as bermuda or fescue. In the absense of a soil test, apply 6 pounds of 15-0-15 per 1000 sq ft two to three weeks after spring green-up and again in midsummer (July - August). see http://www.caes.uga.edu/Publications/displayPDF.cfm?pk_ID=6853

• Barry B

Once again thank you, I now have a plan.

• Patty

I have found that when I spray the weeds in my lawn it looks like they are dead but after awhile they come back so now when winter turns the grass brown I go out and pull the weeds up as best I can. I usually do it aster a rain when the ground is soft it is a lot easier that way. Each year I have fewer weeds to pull up.