DIY Tobacco Basket at a Fraction of the Cost

36K Views
It seems that all of a sudden tobacco baskets are The Thing to have if you love farmhouse/country decor. And when I saw one on the cover of a recent Country Living edition, I jumped on the bandwagon and started looking for one at local antique markets and auctions. But apparently they aren't to be found in this part of country, despite the fact that I living in an area known for it's tobacco farms. And if I was to find one, it would be expensive!!
  • diy tobacco basket at a fraction of the cost, crafts, repurposing upcycling, woodworking projects
I was recently lamenting to a (very talented) friend that I couldn't find one and he thought he could replicate it out of wood veneer. The other day, he showed up with my gorgeous tobacco basket!
Using 1/16" wood, he soaked it overnight and then clamped it to a frame he also made.
It took a lot of clamps and a couple days of drying before the outside frame was complete.
Then he cut veneer in 1" and 1/2" strips and wove and glued them together to form the classic tobacco basket pattern.
He even used copper nails to finish the edges! He said that was authentic and I believe him never having actually seen a vintage tobacco basket.
The veer is stained a gorgeous walnut - perfect for my neutral living room.
It looks amazing on the mantel with some other rustic touches like an old tomato jar filled with cotton branches and some birch accessories. I would never have been able to figure out how to make this myself. It's good to have talented friends!

Suggested materials for this project:

Heather (New House New Home)