The Easy Way To Remove Paint From Glass Hardware

That is one of the great things about do-it-yourself projects. As you are going through them, you learn what to do, what not to do and ways to make the job easier. This dresser was a stretch for me to begin with (you will see why as you read on), but it also taught me The Easy Way To Remove Paint From Glass Hardware and how to make a piece look like the farmhouse furniture that I love.
This dresser was a "stretch" because when I am searching for pieces in the winter, I am a little less picky about them. In the spring, summer and fall when yard sales are in full swing, there are a lot more pieces to choose from. The winter is not so fruitful in our area so I get excited when I find just about anything.
It wasn't in perfect condition, but it was a good price and I thought I could make it so much better.
Look at the top!
It still had stripper on it!
The knobs.
They are original and they are glass.
Two things I loved about the piece. But..... they were painted. Who does that?!
As I was at the store, I tried to chip the paint off. It wasn't budging.
The first thing I did was remove the glass knobs. I had remembered watching a Rehab Addict episode on HGTV and seeing Nicole use an old Crock Pot to remove paint from old hinges.
That got me thinking.....
Since I didn't have an old Crock Pot (I will be picking up the first one I see at yard sales this spring), I made a similar system up with what I had.
When I came back, the paint was pulling away from the knobs!!
I uncovered the bowl and the paint was floating in the water. There were a couple of stubborn spots that didn't come off so I just did the same process one more time and the knobs were crystal clear!
I did not mind the coral color on the dresser, but there was way too much of it. I decided to paint over the coral with a aqua color and then paint the entire dresser in white.
The dresser had such a horrible paint job to start with, but that really helped with the chippy look and bringing out the other colors below the white paint.
We could not salvage the legs and I wanted to get rid of the metal piece that was holding them together. Instead, we added casters to the front of the dresser. I love casters and use them in a lot of projects. They worked so great on the front of this piece. I pick up casters whenever I find them at sales, but found these amazing wood casters on Amazon. I will be buying these for future projects.
Each furniture makeover takes on a new life and I learn so much from each one. This dresser went from dilapidated and shocking to farmhouse and functional. You can see the full details of this makeover and the tip to removing paint from glass hardware on my blog post.

Lindsay Eidahl