Cassandra N
Cassandra N
  • Sandy, UT
Asked on Feb 8, 2012

Has anyone installed board and batten?

VickyCassandra NWoodbridge Environmental Tiptophouse.com
+3

We are planning on ripping out our old nasty baseboard in the living room, and replacing with moulding baseboard, then board and batten throughout the walls about 2/3 the way up. I've seen some good DIY board and batten projects out there, but none in a living room, or with REALLY good step by step instructions. Also wondering, since we have textured walls, if we need to turn them into flat walls first? And if anyone has any advice on how to go about doing that? Hope my fiance doesn't kill me on this project! :)
  • This is a great DIY project. Its not to difficult to do and can be fun as well. Be sure you have lots of room to work, and set up your shop right in the room if you can. It appears that you found out how to do this already so it sounds like your good to go. As far as the texture. If its overall smooth you can go right over it. However if there are many high and low spots you may want to remove it and start fresh with a new sheet of wall board. 2/3 the way up sounds a bit high. I would stop it about a chair rail height. But that is me. Here is a step by step site that may help. It shows the wall with some texture and how it worked out. http://www.decorchick.com/multipurpose-room-progress-board-and-batten/ As far as your fiance, tell him your just getting started and its only going to get better from here! Take photos and show us your progress.

• AA Marble & Granite, LLC

I've done it my own home. What a fun project. And the results are worth a milllion bucks....we maybe not a million...

• Cassandra N

Was there a resource you used to learn how to do it? My fiance and I have never installed it, and also want to rip up and install new baseboards.

• Your best resource is here. Do you need step by step or just a quick overview? If you can post photos of the room so we have an idea of what your project will be and perhaps some photos of what your looking to install. There are several of us that can help you through this project.

• Cassandra N

http://concertoincassandra.blogspot.com/2012/03/living-room-redmodel-part-1-installing.html We finished it! Working on getting everything put together for the blog, but our baseboard remodel is up and running. Thanks!

• Vicky

have you checked YouTube? there are videos out there