Kathleen Bell
Kathleen Bell
  • Versailles, KY

How to Re-screen your screens

Check out my blog for detailed instructions on how to re-screen your screens.
how to re screen your screens, home maintenance repairs, how to, windows
screen, spline and spline tool
screen, spline and spline tool
remove your spline
remove your spline
remove old screen
remove old screen
clean your frames
clean your frames
put in new screen
put in new screen
Finished screen.  Enjoy those Spring breezes!
Finished screen. Enjoy those Spring breezes!
Kathleen Bell

• Bill

What do you do if the corners are broken?
    • Uca2814853

I've got the same problem.
    • R Walter

Check at your local HD Mine sells all the parts needed to make an entire screen. the corners just slip into the rails. be sure to take an original rail or corner along so you get a match. If you can't find an exact fit you can use the old screen to cut new rails with a hacksaw, install your four corner pieces and re-screen and you are good to go.
  • Karen

You make it sound easy, but whenever I have tried to replace my screens, I guess they were too tight and the frame wasn't straight/flat. I haven't done one since. Any tricks?
    • Kathleen Bell

Hi Karen,
      Definitely make sure the frame is straight. There are kits at the big box stores to fix those problems as well. Cut your screen big enough that it lays over the frame quite a bit. Start where you want to start - middle of the top, go around the right side and once you turn to the bottom side you can start tightening, but you shouldn't have to do too much, it kinda tightens up on it's own. Same with the left side. Just pull slightly. If it looks too loose, pull the spline out part way and pull a little tighter. It takes a little practice, but you can definitely do this. Good luck.
    • Dyonis Petriches

Place a brick on the screen material before putting in the spine will make it not so tight. Hint: YouTube has great videos in this.

• Sue

Most screens can be taken out of the window. Next time try laying your frame on a flat surface.

• Diana Deiley

What corner does one start in and then proceed to complete the task, left side, right side, top and bottom, both side? How do we keep it tight and then remove the excess screen? Thank you.
    • Kathleen Bell

Hi Diana,
      It's almost like re-upholstering a chair bottom. You don't have to start in the corner. You can pretty much start anywhere you want. If you start in the middle of top, I don't think you have to stretch until you get to the bottom and the the left side. It will almost tighten up on it's own as you go around. Once you go completely around, cut off the spline and tuck it in. Then you can take an exacto knife and cut off the excess above the spline, being very careful not to cut the new screen. I hope this makes sense.
    • Tami Turcotte

I always do the top and bottom first to help to keep the frame square. You can use a square to help you keep going to far out. Years ago worked for a window, glass and re-screening company always was taught to do your end first. Cut the spline, trim with a utility knife and gently but firmly punch in each corner with a screwdriver or whatever to keep it from wanting to pull out on you. I find a patio door easy as the frame doesn't shift, larger windows with the flimsy frames are harder to keep square. Same theory ends first. I keep one hand on the screen to the inside while the other hand guides the roller and spline. Also, want a screen to stay in place look for spline with the proper thickness .-080 is popular don't waste your time with the foam buy the heavier tube spline and work in frame well being careful not to slip and cut your screen. Once done take a sharp utility knife and trim your excess off. When you start allow a couple inches all the way around of screening. Good luck, after a few you will be a pro.

• Cathy

Thank you l have some doors and windows to do this summer..

• Vada Overmeyer

how do you put screen back in place where it has com out of frame
    • Kathleen Bell

Hi Vada,

That will depend on the window itself. This was for a friend, so I'm not sure how it went back in. Mine in my new house just fit in and have tabs that hold it in place. Some go in tracks. All I can say is put it back the opposite way you took it out.
    • David McIntosh

Do you mean the entire screen is out of the window... or the screen itself if falling out of the corner of a frame?

• Sue

There is a special tool for doing this. You can purchase it at the hard ware store or building center.

• Pattie

I just pull the screen to where it should be and use the handle (something smooth and dull) and push the spleen back in place

• Haveone

U can

• Haveone

Use the spline and spline tool

• Peggy Stanley

What about the corners of the screen that is deteriorated?

• Bonita Wells
      Yesterday

I have the same issue! Had to stop putting in new screen last summer because the corners were so bad they would disintegrate in front of me. HELP US PLEASE!

• Donna Garton

How do you replace a glass in a storm window

• Mary

I dome this type of work for 12 years, I also Built the windows

• Mary

Done this type of work for 12 years, I am very good at it, on and off the house

• How is the spline placed back in frame?

How do you not get gathering in corners with xtra material?

Do you cut screen larger than opening?

• Bonita Wells
      Yesterday

The tool above will help push the spline easily into the frame. Yes do have the screen about an inch past the crevice since when running the tool across will pull it inward.

• Janet Gehlbach

Thank for your help, I’m going to try this, God Bless you !

• ShelbyNeen

Thank you for the post.

-

I don't have the "touch" to pull the spline and the screen at the same time, so my husband does all our re-screening.

One year I felt a little creative and gave him some really pretty tulle fabric to put on our front door screen. It was white with a little bit of sparkle. Looked great, but we did switch back to regular screening the next year.

Just a thought.