How To Build A Faux Fireplace

When we first moved into our home 3 years ago there was no focal point to our long narrow bowling alley of a living room. I was longing for a place to hang stockings and display art so I decided to build my own faux fireplace, here's how......

"Before" The space between the French doors and hallway entrance seemed like a natural spot for a fireplace.
I built the base of my fireplace out of 2x4's.
I then used a piece of high quality oak plywood for the surface of the hearth.
Using 2x4's I constructed a frame for the facade of the fireplace.
Thin MDF was used to "wrap" the frame. I like this MDF because there is no need to sand it, it's very light weight, can be cut easily and is just easily manipulated in general.
I added simple trim for interest. I also stained the hearth.
I added 2x4's to be the base of tiled inset trim around the open box area of the fireplace. I also added MDF to the onset box area on which I layed tile. I used a piece of cheap white wood as the top of the mantle and white wood 1x4 trim around the ledge.
I also added 1x2 trim to the hearth. For more details and specifics about the fireplace pop over to my blog!

Use Ribbon To Decorate For Christmas With These Last Minute Ideas!
30 Amazing Ways To Organize Your Shoes
15 Genius Ways to Organize Your Bedroom
Step-by-Step Painting Techniques You'll Want to Try!
Hometalk's Top 20 DIY Crafts For Kids
15 Decor Projects That Will Make Your Home Beautiful
3 Ideas To Use Terracotta Pots You Definitely Haven't Seen Before
Love The Tompkins

• Callie Hunt
    Callie Hunt

I was wondering do you think one of those little electric fireplace heaters would work in this? By the way we’ll done 👏🏼

• Kevin
      Kevin

sure it would we found a heater that looks like logs on an iron grate flip the switch we have a fire going....

• Christy Vance
    Christy Vance

Do you happen to have measurements for this project?

• Millies_mom47
    Millies_mom47

Did you buy real tile to put into the firebox and around the firebox opening? Or is that a sheet of faux bricks/stone cut to size? Also did you cover the front and sides of the hearth or leave the wood showing?

• Jeannie Herman
    Jeannie Herman

Wow, it looks amazing!! Would love to try this, not sure!! But, maybe!

• Kevin
    Kevin

You did a GREAT job!

We have 2 fake fireplaces work VERY well in a not so large space to display art, hang a TV over, create a seating area, etc.

I boosted one of mine up higher off the floor to create a "raised hearth" not too high I lay 2 cinder blocks on the side then lay my hearth a 1 inch thick board I found in the dumpster painted black, I placed my fireplace on top of the cinder blocks - I painted bricks black lay them horizontal line the bricks up to encase/hide the cinder blocks.

The cinder blocks and bricks add some weight to the fireplace not so flimsy.

LOVE your fireplace!

Many fake fireplaces for sale at thrift stores, etc. CHEAP y'all can take one home and put your own mark on that.

Nothing like a fireplace to add charm to a room.

Kevin