How To Build A Faux Fireplace

When we first moved into our home 3 years ago there was no focal point to our long narrow bowling alley of a living room. I was longing for a place to hang stockings and display art so I decided to build my own faux fireplace, here's how......

"Before" The space between the French doors and hallway entrance seemed like a natural spot for a fireplace.
I built the base of my fireplace out of 2x4's.
I then used a piece of high quality oak plywood for the surface of the hearth.
Using 2x4's I constructed a frame for the facade of the fireplace.
Thin MDF was used to "wrap" the frame. I like this MDF because there is no need to sand it, it's very light weight, can be cut easily and is just easily manipulated in general.
I added simple trim for interest. I also stained the hearth.
I added 2x4's to be the base of tiled inset trim around the open box area of the fireplace. I also added MDF to the onset box area on which I layed tile. I used a piece of cheap white wood as the top of the mantle and white wood 1x4 trim around the ledge.
I also added 1x2 trim to the hearth. For more details and specifics about the fireplace pop over to my blog!

Love The Tompkins

• Callie Hunt

I was wondering do you think one of those little electric fireplace heaters would work in this? By the way we’ll done 👏🏼

• Christy Vance

Do you happen to have measurements for this project?

• Millies_mom47

Did you buy real tile to put into the firebox and around the firebox opening? Or is that a sheet of faux bricks/stone cut to size? Also did you cover the front and sides of the hearth or leave the wood showing?