Jessica C
Jessica C
  • Stoughton, WI

Raising Canna

I have started my Canna bulbs indoors. They are easy to grow, and it saves a lot of money. Canna bulbs are dramatic and beautiful in pots or garden boarders.
I bought this bag of canna bulbs at Costco.
I planted them in Miracle Grow potting soil. They had lots of roots, and were already beginning to sprout.
The roots are big and ugly. I used 6 and 8" pots for planting.
I covered the soil with some leftover sphagnum moss that I had from another project. It keeps the soil moist and looks nice.
I keep my pots in this little greenhouse until they can be planted outdoors. After only 2 weeks, they had grown about 6" tall. I can't wait to plant them outside!
Jessica C

• Jessica C

I would think you can put the entire pot into storage. You will have to dig them up the next season, separate the new bulbs and replace the soil. I don't plant mine in the ground because I hate digging them up. It's just easier in the pots.

• DeeAnn Cecchetti

@Patricia W I have to dig all of my Cannas bulbs up every year. They will NOT grow in the winter s here in Illinois. Although I only dig up half of what I plant, they multiple like crazy and I give away some every spring when I put them back in the ground. I have been doing this for years and years. Love 'em~!!

• Patricia W

I grew a ton of those in our nursery, the ladies went crazy for them!!! I adore them!