Love The Tompkins
Love The Tompkins
  • Clarksville, TN

How To White Wash Brick

As part of the renovation in our breakfast nook I decided that I wanted to expose the brick chimney chase that runs from the old coal furnace up through the center of our home. That bumped out corner on the right is the chimney chase.
how to white wash brick, concrete masonry, how to, painting
First I had to expose the brick by tearing off paneling and chipping away the plaster walls on the exposed sides of the chase.
I used a wire brush to clean off the bricks as best as possible after I chipped the plaster away. I was left with a floor to ceiling exposed brick column. I love exposed brick, however red brick is not my thing. I LOVE LOVE LOVE lime washed brick or german smear. I decided that a white washed brick would tone down the red and really compliment the colors I had going on in my breakfast nook and kitchen.
My first step was to wet down the entire brick column. This made the white wash easier to apply and helped the brick soak up the paint mixture.
I used a white paint in eggshell finish mixed with water- I'd say it was a 3parts water to one pat paint ratio. I don't ever exactly measure- I "eyeball" everything.
I used a bristly brush to paint the mixture on in sections.
I would then immediately dab the painted section with a damp rag to spread out and/or layer the paint. I repeated this process all over the entire column.
I'm super happy with how the brick turned out and the over all look of the room.
Here's a similar shot to the first "before" shot to show the progress we've made.
For more information on this makeover check out my blog!
Love The Tompkins

• Kathleen

Do you have outlets hidden somewhere? I don't see the cord for the coffee pot, and I'd love to see fewer cords in my house, too.

• P

I had multiple outlets hidden under our island in our kitchen so I would not have to see them. We just plug our phones or appliances in under the table. I also had outlets put in my pull out drawers in the kitchen so that I can pull out the shelf that hides my toaster. I do NOT remove my toaster, I simply plug it in and when finished push it back in and close the door! No unsightly appliances out on the counters for me!