Richard H
Richard H
  • Wylie, TX

I Finally Got Tired of Having My Tools Scattered All Over My Garage

I finally got tired of having all my tools scattered all over my garage and decided to build 4 cabinets to hold it all (well, almost all). They are on casters so I can roll them around when needed, but you must roll them out to open them up.
i finally got tired of having all my tools scattered all over my garage and decided, diy, how to, shelving ideas, storage ideas, Cabinets closed
Cabinets closed
i finally got tired of having all my tools scattered all over my garage and decided, diy, how to, shelving ideas, storage ideas, cabinets open Hard to tell on these photos but cabinet opens to reveal 3 storage areas Each outside door is pegboard on top and shelves at the bottom Center unit is walled up half way with places to hang on each side and above center divider is shelving
Cabinets open. Hard to tell on these photos but cabinet opens to reveal 3 storage areas. Each outside door is pegboard on top and shelves at the bottom. Center unit is walled up half way with places to hang on each side and above center divider is shelving.
i finally got tired of having all my tools scattered all over my garage and decided, diy, how to, shelving ideas, storage ideas, close up of one side and the center unit all three are hinged with piano hinge on back and caster on the base for moving around
Close-up of one side and the center unit. all three are hinged with piano hinge on back and caster on the base for moving around.
i finally got tired of having all my tools scattered all over my garage and decided, diy, how to, shelving ideas, storage ideas, This is a close up of rabbeted edge Notice how the plywood side sets inside the slot cut from the 3 4 plywood Both side and plywood edges are flush If you choose not to do this the plywood side will attach over edges of plywood
This is a close-up of rabbeted edge. Notice how the plywood side sets inside the slot cut from the 3/4" plywood. Both side and plywood edges are flush. If you choose not to do this the plywood side will attach over edges of plywood
i finally got tired of having all my tools scattered all over my garage and decided, diy, how to, shelving ideas, storage ideas, This is a side and back view of 3 section cabinet Piano hinges attach the sections I use sides for hanging T square and cutting guides and hinged shelf holds sandpaper when folded up and latched
This is a side and back view of 3-section cabinet. Piano hinges attach the sections. I use sides for hanging T-square and cutting guides, and hinged shelf holds sandpaper when folded up and latched.

• Fay Mann

Is there anyway you have a pattern for this great storage unit? or better yet could you make us one? I live in Garland! We can even help!!

• Richard H

Fay, I built these from a post I had seen on another website, Pinterest or maybe some other site. I saw so long ago I don't remember. I had only seen the pictures of it and just made mine to fit in my garage without any plans or dimensions at all. However, after I posted it (about 4 years ago) some guy from Tennessee scolded me on this site for copying it from the Woodcraft website, which I had not done, but possibly the one I had see and used for a picture guide for mine had. Anyway, you can get those plans from Woodcraft (which by the way, look identical to the '3-piece' ones I built with the exception of the '2-piece' one I made. Here's the link/web address for the Woodcraft plans...... http://www.woodcraft.com/product/409619D/downloadable-woodworking-project-plan-to-build-mobile-tool-cabinet.aspx Hope this helps. Richard

• Dennis Lloyd

What's the load rating for the casters?

• Shannon Moloney

Actually looks like the castors are larger than you would need. But very cool design

• Trish

how do I get a copy of the plan. Want to surprise my husband for 31st anniversary and when he comes back home from deployment.

• Kenda Wheeler

This is great for storage; but also, great for someone who is always moving things around.

• This has to be the best storage solution ever, I would love this for my garage and for my crafting " stuff". Fantastic !