Richard H
Richard H
  • Wylie, TX

I Finally Got Tired of Having My Tools Scattered All Over My Garage

I finally got tired of having all my tools scattered all over my garage and decided to build 4 cabinets to hold it all (well, almost all). They are on casters so I can roll them around when needed, but you must roll them out to open them up.
i finally got tired of having all my tools scattered all over my garage and decided, diy, how to, shelving ideas, storage ideas, Cabinets closed
Cabinets closed
i finally got tired of having all my tools scattered all over my garage and decided, diy, how to, shelving ideas, storage ideas, cabinets open Hard to tell on these photos but cabinet opens to reveal 3 storage areas Each outside door is pegboard on top and shelves at the bottom Center unit is walled up half way with places to hang on each side and above center divider is shelving
Cabinets open. Hard to tell on these photos but cabinet opens to reveal 3 storage areas. Each outside door is pegboard on top and shelves at the bottom. Center unit is walled up half way with places to hang on each side and above center divider is shelving.
i finally got tired of having all my tools scattered all over my garage and decided, diy, how to, shelving ideas, storage ideas, close up of one side and the center unit all three are hinged with piano hinge on back and caster on the base for moving around
Close-up of one side and the center unit. all three are hinged with piano hinge on back and caster on the base for moving around.
i finally got tired of having all my tools scattered all over my garage and decided, diy, how to, shelving ideas, storage ideas, This is a close up of rabbeted edge Notice how the plywood side sets inside the slot cut from the 3 4 plywood Both side and plywood edges are flush If you choose not to do this the plywood side will attach over edges of plywood
This is a close-up of rabbeted edge. Notice how the plywood side sets inside the slot cut from the 3/4" plywood. Both side and plywood edges are flush. If you choose not to do this the plywood side will attach over edges of plywood
i finally got tired of having all my tools scattered all over my garage and decided, diy, how to, shelving ideas, storage ideas, This is a side and back view of 3 section cabinet Piano hinges attach the sections I use sides for hanging T square and cutting guides and hinged shelf holds sandpaper when folded up and latched
This is a side and back view of 3-section cabinet. Piano hinges attach the sections. I use sides for hanging T-square and cutting guides, and hinged shelf holds sandpaper when folded up and latched.

• Diane Brenner

I really and truly want one, or two, or three...maybe more. What was the cost per cabinet?

• Richard H

Sorry, I don't recall the amount. The plywood was free from a friend. The biggest expense I had with them was the casters (about $50 for all from Northern Tool Supply) and piano hinges (from Home Depot about $40??? as I recall). 3/4" Plywood has gone up in the 6 years since I built these but you can get from any home store (like Home Depot, Lowes, etc). It will take 2 - 4'X8' sheets at least for one unit, plus pegboard and fasteners (screws, glue etc) It's not a cheap project compared to brackets and shelves but nothing compared to the 'pre-fab' units you can buy.

• Dee smith

would you by chance give the measurements out? im interested in these cabinets, for my carport to store my canning things. and possible one for my tools and stuff. but really like the idea. do they withstand the weather pretty good. my carport is open, no garage door. thank you.

• Richard H

Sorry for the delay (I get busy and forget to check back on this post). The basic dimensions are : 6' tall X 21" deep X 22" across (wide). The width sections is 3-part with the center section being 10 1/2".

• Richard H

Mine are in a garage that is open most of the day. They are still in 'near' perfect condition after 6 years, but how they weather is proportionate to the quality of the paint job. I primed with Kilz then painted with a Sherwin Williams latex.

• Fay Mann

Is there anyway you have a pattern for this great storage unit? or better yet could you make us one? I live in Garland! We can even help!!

• Richard H

Fay, I built these from a post I had seen on another website, Pinterest or maybe some other site. I saw so long ago I don't remember. I had only seen the pictures of it and just made mine to fit in my garage without any plans or dimensions at all. However, after I posted it (about 4 years ago) some guy from Tennessee scolded me on this site for copying it from the Woodcraft website, which I had not done, but possibly the one I had see and used for a picture guide for mine had. Anyway, you can get those plans from Woodcraft (which by the way, look identical to the '3-piece' ones I built with the exception of the '2-piece' one I made. Here's the link/web address for the Woodcraft plans...... http://www.woodcraft.com/product/409619D/downloadable-woodworking-project-plan-to-build-mobile-tool-cabinet.aspx Hope this helps. Richard

• Dennis Lloyd

What's the load rating for the casters?

• Richard H

Dennis, thanks for your interest. Truth is....I don't remember for sure. I think 250 lbs ea. and each (of the 3-fold) cabinets has 6 casters and bi-fold has 4. I bought at Northern Tool. The SKU # is 189314. I think you can google Northern Tool #189314 and get info. Hope this is helpful

• Shannon Moloney

Actually looks like the castors are larger than you would need. But very cool design

• Trish

how do I get a copy of the plan. Want to surprise my husband for 31st anniversary and when he comes back home from deployment.

• Kenda Wheeler

This is great for storage; but also, great for someone who is always moving things around.

• Happy Days Hometalker

This has to be the best storage solution ever, I would love this for my garage and for my crafting " stuff". Fantastic !