Fake It 'till Ya Make It With a DIY Shiplap Styled BAKERY Sign

I admit, I no longer bake. It's a combination of choice and health, but I admit I really miss it!
So I decided to fake it with a cute BAKERY sign that says otherwise...
Loosely based on a shiplap style, a few planks had this beauty workin' hard!
This one is soooo fast and easy to make. No need for building skills this round!
Now I wish it would bake me a cookie... or 12. :)
Love the look too? Here's how you too can make one in minutes!
fake it till ya make it with a shiplap styled bakery sign, how to, kitchen backsplash, kitchen design, painting
I'm so in love with the impact this BAKERY sign has in my kitchen! I'm using it to hang mugs near my coffee station so it's super useful too!
Note: Copy at own risk. Check home code safety before installing wood behind gas ranges.
This cutie pie was made in seconds with the BAKERY stencil.
The beauty of a stencil is, you can get a pro look with so little effort!
.
Note: These stencils are part of my own line of Old Sign Stencils.
LUNCH & BAKERY are sold separately, but designed to mix and match for more looks!
Find stencils in store HERE
1. Clean and cut board sizes as desired.
Tip: lay your components on top to estimate your desired size
2. Position stencil in the middle, tape into position, and apply paint.
Tip: Use a VERY dry brush for the sharpest effect.
3. Hang single planks in place one at a time.
NOTE: If you wish to insert S hooks for hanging like I did, install two support boards on the wall prior to hanging planks, to create a space between wall and sign for the hooks. Or just add hooks or screws on boards.
So, this sign demanded a little fluffing around my woodsy, rustic kitchen. An old crate helped double the counter space in my small kitchen.
The blog post has a few more shots of what else I did too, at link below.
And there she is. My happy little baker hard at work. Calorie free I might add...
Find stencils in store HERE
Visit more of the Bakery sign tutorial below!

Funky Junk Interiors - Donna

• Jayedog Howlin

Hi.. this may be a dumb question.. What is shiplap and where do u find it? Or do u make it ? Thanks!

• Hope Williams

Hi Jayedog, ship lap is nothing more that pine boards that you get from your hardware store. Usually 1X5, 1X6, and they are nailed up and usually painted, sometimes stained. Very versatile, economical and used on ceilings and walls.

• Neva Dew

We had ship lap 60+ years ago before ship lap was cool! Mom and Dad couldn't wait to cover it up. Paneling helped keep the cold air from coming in the 1/4" cracks between the boards in that old farm house!

• Jayedog Howlin

Thanks ! Im going to get me some for my walls.. i love the country look😆

• Christine

Shiplap boards have a notch on both long sides - there is definitely overlap and you can't see through. This project uses plain boards with a space between for a shiplap kind of look

• Jayedog Howlin you've received excellent advice in this thread, so I'm not even needed at this point! haha Shiplap is indeed a board that latches together. I've simply used reclaimed wood fence planks to emulate the look. :)

• Janie Franklin

I have been looking for cheap backsplash ideas- this is a good one.

• Janine

I'd go by the Mountaineer an claim a tossed plat and use the wood from it.... Free

• Emmawilliams1

What is the rest of your kitchen backsplash? thanks and cute sign!!

• Wel17119462

I may have missed this but; how do you have it attached to the wall or does it simply lean up against the wall?

• Susie

Love this idea!!!
  • Joanie

In a NUT shell........I love your entire kitchen. It is a combination of dark, white, and all of your ideas combined. It looks like a well thought out kitchen!!!