A Cool Way to Drill Glass Bottles

Who doesn't like to recycle glass bottles? Perhaps you like turning them into lamps or a bird feeder or something else. I recently discovered a new way to do. Would you believe it involves plumber's putty.
a cool way to drill glass bottles, crafts, diy, how to, repurposing upcycling, tools
Let's set the stage - I would like to drill a 1/2 inch hole near the bottom of this wine bottle.
I discovered that this 1/2 diamond hole saw bit works very well on glass.
Here is the secret weapon --- plumber's putty. I will show you how to use it in the next few steps.
Take some putty out and roll it between your hands. I know, it looks disgusting, but hey, it's like going back to kindergarten.
Take the rolled up plumber's putty and form a small bowl around the area you will drill.
Add about 1/4 water in the putty bowl. Putty should be pressed down firmly against the glass.
Adjust your drill press to 700 RPM. Or whatever is recommended with your glass-drilling bit.
Wear a face shield preferably. ANSI standard safety glasses if you don't have the face shield.
Wear some work gloves and make sure your bottle or glass is secured somehow on the table of the drill press. If you're unsure, don't do it, but I found this method to be very safe.
Turn on drill press and gently begin applying the drill bit to the glass surface. I liked to bump the drill bit up and down, gently. The water will facilitate drilling the glass and keep the bit cool and lubricated. When done, the water drains through the hole.
I didn't time it, but I think it took me about 3 to 5 minutes to drill this hole through. When done, remove putty and discard. Clean up the glass and you're done.
This hole turned out pretty nice. Since I'm placing an electrical cord through here, I will probably sand the edges or create a bushing for the holes. You don't want to cut an electrical cord.
Here's another example where I'm drilling through an antique telegraph insulator.
My finished 1/2 inch hole, looking up through the antique insulator.
My finished steampunk lamp. I used some steel pipes for the body. The diamond hole saw bit and this drilling method really made this project a lot easier.
Stephen Scott Johnson

• Amber Breanne Vandever

Could you do this using a regular drill or is it not safe to use anything but a drill press?

• Stephen Scott Johnson

It depends on the application of the bit you are using. The Milwaukee bits (according to their specs) will cut tile, stone, or glass. Whatever you cut needs to be secured. Read the safety instructions that come with your drill (and bit) to understand any safety issues or its limitations. You may want to visit the Milwaukee website and see what they tell you about their bits. I've seen videos and pictures where they are using a hand drill but in those demos they were drilling tile. Keep in mind that tile is usually fixed or secured and it's usually a flat surface. In all cases, where safety glasses and other appropriate safety protection.

• Mst4178849

How do you create the bushing you mentioned in the tutorial?

• Mst4178849

Ok. I get the idea! I coul figure it out. Just didn't know if you had some easy hack for this. Thanks for responding!

• Vic26678351

I don’t have a drill press, can i use a drill? and the vice to hold it? the lamp is really cool!!

• Itsmemic

DAMN...just got into Steampunk...and just sold my drill press... I just can't win...:(

• Susie Mueller

I was excited about this idea until I realized you need a drill press. Yet another glass tool I don’t have. Great idea thougH.

• Mary-Anne Swanson

was just looking at glass bits today. I will keep this in mind when I purchase mine :)