Barb Rosen
Barb Rosen
  • Wilmington, DE

Gather Flowers for a May Day Basket!

$2

May Day Baskets were something we made of construction paper in elementary school back in the day, but I haven't seen much about them for years. If I get a vote, we should bring this neighborly rite of spring back!
Very simple and fun besides: just gather fresh blooms from your spring garden, insert them into a glass or small vase of water in a charming little basket and add a bit of ribbon. The tradition when I was growing up was for children to place them on a neighbor's door, ring the bell and run away as fast as you could so you weren't caught. Hiding in nearby bushes to see the recipient's surprised expression was half the fun. Try this fun little activity with your children or on your own, or place a May Basket on your own door to officially welcome spring.

~ May Day Basket ~
~ May Day Basket ~
Hang a May Basket on your door instead of a wreath!
May Day Basket hung on the screen door handle.
Barb Rosen

• Lorraine Edwards

Thinking this would be a great Facebook post with a request to share it, in hopes that children in neighborhoods might do this with their moms and/or dads in tow. The world can use a few of these sweet old-fashioned but endearing little niceties!!

• Barb Rosen

Thanks, @Lorraine Edwards ! I did just as you suggested!