DIY Rotating Cooking Utensil Storage Rack

$5

My kitchen has been in serious need of some organizational help. I love to cook and am on a mission to make it easier to store and find my kitchen supplies.
diy rotating cooking utensil storage rack, diy, kitchen design, organizing, storage ideas, woodworking projects
This week I tackled all of the cooking utensils that used to get jammed in a drawer or in the jar I kept on the counter. I wanted something that was easy to get at but didn't take up a lot of counter space.
Then I saw this great idea on pinterest (https://www.pinterest.com/pin/396246467185635146/ in case you want to see the original) where they had de-constructed a lazy susan to make a rotating, hanging storage rack...and I thought it was the perfect solution!
I bought the lazy susan hardware (very inexpensive)!
Then cut a piece of melamine. Since it was going under my kitchen cabinets, I didn't really care if it was round or real wood which made the construction process much easier (If you use a round piece of wood, you have to drill holes in it right above the holes in the lazy susan hardware in order to attach it to the bottom of the cabinet).
Attach the lazy susan hardware to the square piece of melamine.
Add some hooks.
Hang it under the cabinet using 1/2" screws.
Now I have all kinds of easy-to-access cooking utensil storage that is right by the stove and doesn't take up space on the counter top...which also makes the counter top much easier to clean (an added bonus). Even better...the whole project cost less than $10 and took less than an hour to put together.
Update: Because of the overhang on my cabinets, you can't see the lazy susan hardware at all. For more details (and links to some of my other DIY kitchen organization projects), click the link below.
Wanda @ From House To Home

• Pamela Martinez

Does it spin?

• Alison Bulick Gilroy

People are too worried these days about germs. If you use antibacterial soap and sterilize everything and do not let your children play in dirt occasionally or eat mud pies etc., they are going to be sick, a lot!! A little dirt consumption never hurt anyone. I have had my utensils on the counter in decorative containers for decades as did my mother. Its never been an issue, ever. They are in use often enough to be washed on a regular basis. If you pick one looking particularly bad then you wash it first. Its no big deal.

Additionally, it serves no constructive purpose to be glib on here to one another. If your snide comments are merely to display your clever wit or shame another please leave them out. What seems foolhardy to some may seem genius to others. And if its your idea and thousands of snide comments come back it could be very hurtful. What good is that for anyone? I think nobody meant harm but try to read them from the perspective of the person who came up with it. That should alter your response Im hoping. Cheers to you all!

• Sabrina Tielking

Where do you buy lazy Susan hardware?

• Tlj10676257

Love the concept, love the idea, but how do you keep your utensils clean? Being out in the open like that, one would have to continue re-wash them before using? Correct?

• Jo

Don’t hang the ones that u don’t use very often.. just hang the ones u use daily... they will be washed all the time... also don’t hang to close to stove because of splatter

• Alison Bulick Gilroy

This would also be a great way to deal with, and find in a sec, all the pot and pan lids! You could use a large lazy susan invert, add screw in hooks and mount on the under side of a big lower cupboard or kitchen island!! Im gonna do it!! Thanks for the inspiration!!

• Virginia D Cooper

I really love this idea. Thanks for the info