Lisa D
Lisa D
  • Greeley, CO
Asked on Feb 13, 2012

So we just had some snow here in CO and I looked out the window and some of my bulbs are starting sprout! Anyone else?

Deb BKMS WoodworksDouglas Hunt
+5

• KMS Woodworks

Lisa...I'm at 8500 feet...we still have a few feet of snow on the ground...not going to see flowers for a long time.

• 3po3

I don't have anything sprouting yet. It's been a chilly winter, and it seems like we had snow on the ground straight from Halloween through late January (which is unusual for the flatlands of Colorado, for those in the rest of the country).

• Teresa D

I'm still pouting about my early blooms that got zapped by this weekend's cold.

Early blooms on plants can definitely be done in by the cold, Teresa, as you have found out this year, but bulbs generally have better built-in defenses. I've seen many a daffodil bloom in snow.

• Lisa D

lets hope they do survive! Anyone try the Butterfly & Hummingbird Wildflower Seed Mix from Lowes? It has some positive reviews and I was thinking about this for a good filler around some young shrubs that are pretty small

Lisa, the seed mix probably contains annuals and perennials. If you are filling in around shrubs that will grow, you probably want to stick with annuals so you don't have a crowding problem when they, and the perennials you have started from seed, grow.

• KMS Woodworks

the snow from a couple weeks ago...got re-arranged last night with our 60 mph winds.....remind me again when spring comes

q so we just had some snow here in co and i looked out the window and some of my bulbs, gardening, This drift is 3 4 feet hing about 30 feet long
  • Deb B

we in Nebraska just have the wind today and the remainder of the last snow about 10 days ago! the miracle of spring is just around the corner!