Carroll A
Carroll A
  • Coos Bay, OR
Asked on Apr 29, 2013

Did I just weed around weeds?

Pat880866Carroll ARuth Wolery
+15

Anyone know what these light green plants are? They just showed up. The long leafed plants are Naked Ladies. I don't want anything choking out my ladies.
q did i just weed around weeds, gardening

I am hardly knowledgeable about northwest plants, but somehow this doesn't look like a weed to me. I'd say you have time to watch it and see what happens before there's a chance of crowding out your Naked Ladies.

• Carroll A

Thanks Douglas, That's what I thought too.

• Debra P

It looks very similar to a plant they sell here at the local nursery that they call a gopher plant, or gopher purge...something like that anyway. (except for the light coloring~ a different variety perhaps?) Its supposed to repel them from your garden..

• 360 Sod (Donna Dixson)

It does look like Gophers' Spurge, which is actually in the Euphorbia family, and has that milky sap like a Poinsettia. It is supposed to deter gophers, but in reality ...not so much. Be careful handling it as it can be an irritant to your skin and all parts are listed as poisonous. It can also be invasive if it likes the spot it is in. I would say put some gloves on and pull it up if you want to make sure your naked ladies are not vulnerable

• Carroll A

Thanks everyone!.. @360 Sod (Donna Dixson) and @ I think you are right. I did some reading on it too and as soon as I got home I pulled it. I have too many kids and animals in my yard to let something like that stay.

• Patricia W

Carroll, Im in Cottage Grove, I've got them too! They just popped up on the shady north side of my house.

• Patricia W

http://www.mountainvalleygrowers.com/euplathyrus.htm Here is a quick link, they do die off and are poisonous to gophers.

• Carroll A

Hi @Patricia W , These popped up in a full sun, west facing bed and I have not found them anywhere else in my yard. Thanks for the link/information!

• Wanda sinnema

My Mom called it a MILK WEED.....invasive, can cause irritation to the skin..... DIG it out ASAP,, may have to repeat next year..don't pull it,,dig it out..

• Sally Roesner Fuhr

Monarch butterflies depend on milkweed as their food source. It looks more to me like lavender or even rosemary.

• Sandy Harmon

Sally...my first impression was also rosemary.

• Wanda sinnema

It is called milkweed in the PNW... I think it can spread quite easy..if I remember what my mom told me it is considered a weed here.. and can cause a rash if you get it on your hands or arms..... I'd say dig it out unless you have gopher problems..

• Ruth Wolery

@If it is MIlkweed - the Derby Junior Garden Club is saving it for the butterflies.

• Ruth Wolery

I don't think you have to worry about the Naked Ladys as they are really strong and take over and pop up everywhere.

• Pat880866

Could be rosemary. Does it smell like an herb when you rub it with your fingers?

• Carroll A

It turned out to be weeds.

• Pat880866

If you don't want it there, it's a weed!