Modern Makeover Transforms Simple Bathroom

It's amazing what a modern tile installation can do for a simple bathroom. Using classic shapes and subway tile this bathroom got a fresh new look with materials from The Home Depot. The transformation began with an inspiration to lay an intricate pattern with a simple hexagon tile, in two shades of light grey.

When we moved into our "new" home this bathroom lacked function and storage. Initially, we added a vanity and got rid of the brown paint, with a fresh coat of white but after tackling larger projects around our house, we finally circled back to this neglected bathroom to bring it up to it's full potential.

In the planning stages of this design, I was concerned that this vertical offset pattern would be difficult to do or keep level. Happily, I was surprised to find it wasn't any more difficult than setting tile horizontally, except that you can cover more vertical space with each row of tiles. And that was awesome revelation!

Once the wall tiles were set, I moved onto the hexagon tiles and the pattern on the floor. Because the tiles are not square, obviously, I would not recommend this installation for someone who has not previously done tile work. But the extra effort and care to get this look is well worth the time and I give tips and more instructions in my blog posts.

Setting extra long subway tiles vertically on the walls gave what can be a traditional tile a simple, ultra-contemporary twist.

Adding a floating wooden cedar shelf on the vanity wall brought in warmth that would have been lacking in the space otherwise.

To learn more about the hexagon floor pattern and tour the rest of the space visit the link below. There is also a link to a full tutorial on how to use my favorite grout, Fusion Pro, a single component colored grout.

15 Unique Father's Day Crafts
These Clever Ideas Will Help You With Spring Cleaning
30 Ideas To Make Your Office Look Great
18 Wintery Wreath Ideas That You'll Want To Make For Your Home
Check Out These 15 Beautiful Flower Ideas For Spring
30 Useful Ways To Reuse Plastic Bottles
These Clever Decor Ideas Are So Perfect For Summer
31 Creative Ways To Fill Empty Wall Space
31 Astounding Things You Didn't Know You Could Do With Contact Paper
15 Home Improvement DIY Ideas You'll Want To Copy This Month
30 Jewelry Organizing Ideas That Are Better Than a Jewelry Box
How To: Make Hot Glue Placemats + More Crafts Ideas!
3 Gorgeous Decor Projects In The Oh-So-Chic Geometric Style
30 Stunning Ways To Display Your Plants
Deeply Southern Home

• Angela

What color paint is on the vanity/cabinet? It almost looks like a deep navy blue.

• Lori Cohen

Look at the color Hale Navy. Right now it is one of the biggest Trends on Pinterest for cabinet colors

• Freida Spicer Page

Can you use Fusion Pro grout in the shower?

• Deeply Southern Home

@Freida Spicer Page Yes, it works beautifully. I noticed in some of the reviews online some responders said it washed away and I have absolutely no idea what they are talking about. They either didn't follow the instructions or did not wait for the grout to cure. It's super straight forward and easy to use. I wrote a tutorial for The Home Depot that's very informative and has helpful tips. I would also recommend to further educate yourself by watching their videos. Education is the key with these types of DIY's.

• Jjqq

Please - where did you get that floating shelf?