Marvin R
Marvin R
  • Sanford, NC
Asked on Feb 14, 2012

Glads

Erica GlasenerDouglas HuntGarden Rebel / Sims Landscaping, Co.

I bought some gladiolus bulbs from the store yesterday just one small pack of 6. Ive tried them before but they always look out of place and fall over. I guess they really need to be planted in large groups for impact.Does anybody have any ideas for planting a few i thought about around the mail box.But im not sure i will have enough room.I guess pots would be ok but they dont bloom long enough to really justify a pot unless you put them with other flowers.Whats do yall do with glads and do you have any secrets for producing healthy flowers?thanks
  • If they fall over then they can be staked or you can plant the dwarf varieties and that will help.

Marvin, I think they're often planted in rows for use as cut flowers, but since you only have six I think around the mailbox sounds good. Give them a little slow-release fertilizer (5-10-10) when the plants are 6 to 8 inches tall, and again when the flower spikes begin to appear in the foliage.

• Erica Glasener

Marvin, I wanted to let you know about a species glad called Gladiolus byzantinus, that dates back to 1629! It gets 2-3' high and has deep magenta blooms (if you like that color) you can get them from www.oldhousegardens.com a hardy perennial they won't need staking and come back year after year, I love mine