Caresse Fusilier
Caresse Fusilier
  • Ville Platte, LA
Asked on Apr 29, 2013

What kind of wax can I use after using homemade chalk paint

Mary InsanaDonna InzanaKMS Woodworks
+3

I am planning to use home made chalk paint on an entertainment center. Do I need to sand it before using chalk paint and also what kind of wax.
  • Jenny Belman

Maison Blanche and Annie Sloan are boutiquebrands that work really well. But you can also choose from Briwax, Fides & Sons, Minwax, and Johnson's Paste wax, they are alternative options that have been around for decades.

• KMS Woodworks

a paint job is always better when the proper level of prep has been done. I would sand and prime first. For wax I have been using Briwax for over 20 years. It comes in many shades, so you can get some great "antique" type of effects when using the darker versions. http://www.briwax.com/

• Mary Insana

The beauty of using chalk paint is you don't have to prime. A light sanding on a shiny surface would be helpful though.

• Donna Inzana

Hey, Mary, your last name caught my eye! Mine is Inzana, I'm sure they were the same many years ago. :)

• Donna Inzana

Someone told I could use beeswax, candle wax or canning wax. Is that true?

• Mary Insana

Donna Inzana from what I hear our last name has always been Insana. Relatives are from Sicily and there's still a lot of them over there. I'm in Pittsburgh but most of the other Insana relatives live in the Cleveland area. There are some in Washington Pa. But as far as we know they're not directly related. Maybe somewhere way back when. It's definately not a common last name 😄