Michael
Michael
  • Monticello, GA
Asked on Feb 15, 2012

Gotta love your local EMC

KMS WoodworksMichaelPaul M
+1

Not a question, just wanted to share. Yesterday, I received a dividend check for $136 bucks from an EMC I had years ago. This was for the years 1981-1983. I've moved several times between then and now, and they still found me. Outstanding!
Think I'll re-invest it in refreshments this evening, just to help the economy along.
  • KMS Woodworks

not quite sure what an EMC is? but bonus checks are always welcome...I got in on a class action settlement from ATT over cell phone fees...that was $100 buck I never expected to see.

• Paul M

I got a class action settlement once, don't remember exactly what it was but the amount was 78 cents. I kept the check somewhere because that was just silly. I guess the attorneys are the only ones that made any money on that one.

• Michael

An EMC is short for "Electric Membership Co-oporation", where every customer is also an owner of the co-op. Mostly found in rural areas of the country. It is basically a kinda non-profit, instead of having to report to shareholders, the customers are the shareholders, and any excess profits are returned to the shareholders(customers). Plus, when you're a member of an EMC, you'll receive a level of service, you just won't get with a big box utility.

• KMS Woodworks

Sounds great...keeping the $$$ in the hands of the people rather than the Halliburton and Enron types.