DIY Faux Marble Coffee Table Makeover Tutorial

1 Material
$40

I am so happy to be writing up this tutorial today! First of all I am happy to report that I sold my first piece of furniture that I flipped on Chairish. I sold a coffee table that I found at Goodwill for $25 a couple years ago and it was one of my first DIY furniture projects in 2014 and I just sold it for $95. Chairish takes a small percentage. I ended up walking away with $76. I am happy because gave me a reason to go shopping for furniture. *Hot tip*If you are a DIY furniture flipper, you should definitely be trying to sell your furniture on either the Chairish App on their website. I have been so tempted recently by furniture I have been seeing on apps and on Craigslist.
In my house, the way I work it out is that I will flip a furniture piece. If I sell that piece in my home, I will give myself permission to go hunting for more furniture. I have to impose rules like this one otherwise I would become a hoarder quickly. People on my street love leaving stuff on the curb. So many gems, but with no place to put them I have to let them go. So since I was in need of a new coffee table (that I could still DIY), I took action! This past weekend my mother and I went to several thrift and antique stores in my area looking for a deal on an awesome piece. Unfortunately, I didn't have any success, but it's okay. Later that evening, I discovered the Trove App for my iPhone. It is one of those buy and sell locally apps, but the cool thing is that you can also pay for items via paypal and have them shipped to you. This is a choice the buyer makes. You certainly can make so your item is pick up local only. When you use my link, you can get $5 towards your first purchase on Trove! I found this coffee table for $20 and that is close to what I wanted to spend on a piece to makeover and it wasn't too far away!
Supplies you will need: - Marble DC Fix Contact Paper. I spent about $8 a roll on mine and purchased 2 rolls. - Metal Ruler - Xacto Knife and Blades - Squeegee - The one pictured is what we use in the TV industry to apply decals and graphics on the set. - Scissors if needed.
The whole process of applying this contact paper was to measure out how much length I would need for my table. Then I realized that the width of the contact paper was less than my table. This is the kind of stuff that just happens when you are DIY-ing. Once I had my pieces cut, I started by lining up one corner with the top and side lines to keep it straight over the woodgrain. I ended up having to cut a couple 3" wide pieces to cover the absent area. The good news was that I able to line up the grain so you can not tell when you are looking at it. And now.... the AFTER photos!
I seriously cannot stop looking at this table every time I walk into the living room. I have a huge crush on this table. Is that weird? LOL I hope you found this project inspiring and helpful! I am on a mission to prove that you do not need a lot of $$ to decorate your home beautifully. You just have to be creative and know where to look.

• Faux Marble Contact Paper  (Amazon/DC Fix)

Meredith Schneider

• Eileen Omeara

Where do you find the contact paper?

• Mary Rose

Walmart, Target, K Mart, Meijer

• Linda

You can get it for even less at Dollar General Stores ... also don't leave out the good ole Dollar stores like Dollar Tree.. Good way to practice is on the Cheap but I can't tell the difference between the dollar store grade and Wal-Mart or Target.

• Robin Bryan

I would like to add to Linda's answer, I am not sure if they are country wide or just local to me, but there is also Real Deals Dollar store. They have way more things than the Dollar Tree and usually even better 3,4,5 and 6 for a $1!Hope this helps!

• Heather McKinney

Tell me more about this "Chairish" site. I'm interested. ;-)

• Heather, if I may,,,,I also sell on Chairish. It's somewhat like Etsy. However, they take a pretty big bite, 20%. Customers will respond to your ad with offers and you can choose to accept or counter offer. You can make arrangements for shipping or have the customer go through Chairish. Visit their website and look around!

• Nitekitty

I cannot see the seams in the photos; are they really invisible? Maybe I could recover the laminated shelf we are using as a desk that is already showing signs of wear.

• Meredith Schneider

@Nitekitty They are pretty invisible. As long as you line up the grain and cut a clean line, your should be fine.

• Jael

I've used contact paper a lot and as long as you're careful it looks great! I'm excited to use it when we downsize to an apartment this spring! Apartments are so blah and contact paper can really jazz it up!

• Jewellmartin

The grid lines on the back of the paper help enormously but you still have to cut and place carefully. Best wishes.
  • Maude LaFountain

Aren't you afraid that the contact paper may shrink over time ?.....I have heard that it will do that ,...just asking ... not sure if it does or not ...aside from that I love the table looks very expensive now ...

• Jewellmartin

@MeredithGreenberg I have been waiting for you. Two years ago I left an open bottle of Wick or Glade in the back of a storage end table. Stripped the varnish right off over the back 1/2. I've been hiding the damage under a pretty placemat because the tables are SO heavy. But I know I could do the tops in Contact paper and all three tables in the set will appear lighter, which is what I want. I have never had Contact paper to shrink, except when I did a countertop next to the stove. Oops! But I've used a lot of Contact paper in 50 years or so. Best wishes!
  • Rita giordano

Would I be able to put a coat of clear varnish on top for a bathroom vanity

• Julia Tyler

Don't put anything over top... just caulk really good and don't use an abrasive cleanser..stick to spray on cleansers. Been doing contact paper on counter tops since the 70's! They now have a 36" wide that's bubble free and 5 X as heavy called Faux Granite... but it's more expensive, too!

• Rita giordano

Thank you Julia

• Sarah Jackson

I have used checkered contact paper on surfaces and put clear contact paper on top so the design last longer and I can sponge it off.

• Renee'

Julia, what and where would you need to caulk?

• Esther

My backsplash is granite which I hate easy to clean but too dark, will it be safe to cover with contact paper behind my electric stove. Your table is beatiful. Thanks

• Reb28426693

Hi there! Is the paper that you used sturdy enough to put cups, plates, etc on it without ripping? Worried that It might get stained or ripped through without a protector on top. Thanks!

• Edna Johnson

Great looking redo.
  • Renee'

Your project solves a dilemma for me. I have an antique small coffee table. however the top had been replaced with a different wood than the rest of the table. I’ve always displayed it with a thin Ivory crocheted table cover. I can’t wait to do this projects.

Thank you for posting!