Sherrie S
Sherrie S
  • Debary, FL
Asked on Apr 29, 2013

Name this flower

Ruth WoleryIsamentonSherrie S
+19

I sometimes buy a little flower to see if I like it. I don't label it so I have to come to Hometalk to identify it. I thought it as a lavender, then I thought it might be a blue bonnet.
What is it?
What is it?
  • R.V.R. Farris

I bet it's a type of salvia. And Douglas Hunt will in all likelihood know.

• Sherrie S

Thank you @R.V.R. Farris - shows what I know. I'm now waiting for @Douglas Hunt for the final answer.

Definitely a salvia. Possibly "Victoria Blue."

• Sherrie S

Thank you @Douglas Hunt I was so surprised at this plant because it grew so much larger than the original "test plant" and lived through Florida winter. I've got a new place to use these flowers in a big bed. I really appreciate your expertise. When is the next garden show you are involved in?

Sherrie, I find one of the things plants most ignore is the size they are supposed to grow. There are no garden shows on my agenda as a participant, but I'm planning to go to the Spring Fling at Sugar Mill Gardens in Port Orange this Sunday from noon to 4 as a (potential) buyer.

• Nancy Hand

Pretty Salvia!! :)

• Sherrie S

@Douglas Hunt I'd love to know what you learn. You know so much & I am interested in anything you recommend.

• Leida R

OH WOW!!! These are GORGEOUS!!! I'm going to start looking for them, @Sherrie because I WANT them.

• Viv

It is called blue salvia.

• Sherrie S

@Leida R that was one 2" container plant last year. I'm really happy with its growth. I'll be buying more this year.

• Joe Abbet

Mealy Blue Sage. Salvia farinacea. native to Texas, grows wild mostly in chalky limestone soils. Usually perennial in . Gets 14-28" tall. "Victoria Blue" is a selection. There are also white forms, which are really a very pale gray. Attracts butterflies.

• Sherrie S

@Joe Abbet anything from texas works here. I bought the texas lilac and that plant is wonderful. I also buy all of my pond lillies from Texas.

• Sharon @ mrs. hines class

I love blue salvia!

• Carolyn

Blue salvia

• Sharon Burton

It looks like a blue salvia. They are beautiful

• Bonnie

Victoria Blue Salvia is one of the plants that is a "Must have" in my gardens. Many years ago when I bought my first plant (identified by the garden shop as an annual) I was surprised and excited to see it come back the next summer bigger and better than the year before!! Evidently it tolerates our milder winters here in Missouri. My plants got almost knee high last year..... waiting for them to show themselves now that the weather is heating up!!

• Carolyn

Carolyn I think it is salvia.

• Sherrie S

Carolyn you and many others are so correct. Thank you.

• Wanda sinnema

Yes its salvia,,here in NW this variety is an annual. there are lots that are perrienals..I love this in my planters with the red gerranuims and white filler plants.. keep the dead heads picked for many more blooms

• Sherrie S

@Wanda sinnema mine are looking kinda wimpy now but still pretty. I'll cut off the bad and see what happens next. thank you.

• Ruth Wolery

Yes, I live in central Ohio, and I have this - it is called Victoria Blue and it is a perennial. Please cut the dead stems for more. Where is Debary, FL ? compared to Port Charlotte where I go in the winter. Port Charlotte is on the SW area - just north of Ft. Myers.