Vicki Rogers
Vicki Rogers
  • Splendora, TX

Repurposed Cabinet Doors

I've seen the Nana tee shirts, cups, and even the signs, and I had two salvaged cabinet doors so I decided to make my daughters mother-in-law (the kids call her Nonie) and myself signs to hang our grandkids pictures, drawings, and such from. They love giving us those things, and we love getting them, so now we'll have a special place to hang them instead of on the fridge. I decided to go with old plaster looking mixed media signs.
repurposed cabinet doors, chalk paint, crafts, decoupage, doors, repurposing upcycling, wall decor
I painted on two coats of blue chalk paint. I printed out the text from my computer and tore them into sections. I also tore sections from a poster I had. I aged all the paper with tea bags. When everything was dry, I decoupaged them to the doors. I also cut out a heart from the corrugated cardboard the poster came on for the center.
I added a few raised stickers from the dollar store, then applied texture randomly to the doors. I drug a fork through some areas, and let it dry overnight.
I lightly sanded the texture with 220 grit sandpaper, and cleaned them with a tack cloth. I mixed a lace color chalk paint with water and painted on two coats. when I'd get a little too much whitewash in an area I didn't want, I removed it with a damp cloth, and a dry fan brush.
After they were dry, I used a antiquing glaze to age them, one small section at a time, brushing it on and taking it off with a rag and brushes. I went over the picture and text with a fan brush. I put on silver leaf paint and sealed them with a clear spray sealer.
pic of how the ribbon was attached.
pic of how the ribbon was attached.
I hope you enjoyed my Nana and Nonie signs! :-)

Vicki Rogers

• 9530106

These are so beautiful! Did you use wood filler for your texture? That's what it appears to be. You are so talented!

• Maude LaFountain

All my grandkids call me different names ....NANNY / GRANDMA / MAWMAW ...so this would be impossible for me ...But I really really like it ...awesome job

• Mjruns

I was just looking at a bare wall in my kitchen, wondering what I could put there, that was kitcheny, but not in an obvious way. I have to admit that I didn't look at the end product, but scrolle through the tutorial, thinking "meh." But it is pretty damned awesome! Off to the salvage store I go... 😄