Brett Lipton
Brett Lipton
  • New York, NY

I Made an End Grain Wood Floor From Scratch and Saved Myself $4000!

$468
Advanced

One day I had come across a flooring in an old church and became intrigued, I had never seen anything like it before. It was a wood floor, but as opposed to the side of the grain being exposed, it was the end of the grain. I decided that I needed to recreate this old world craftsmen appearance in my own home. Full details of the entire project are here: http://goo.gl/pV51hA
i made an end grain wood floor from scratch and saved myself 4000, dining room ideas, diy, flooring, hardwood floors, woodworking projects
A few months ago I purchased a house that was carpeted from wall to wall with the most horrible carpeting. Before purchasing it I had done some snooping and after lifting several corners, realized that underneath the carpeting was hardwood flooring, throughout. So, I knew after purchasing the home it wouldn't be much of a task to rip up this eye sores, spend a few hours sanding and refinishing and I would be happy with the new look. below is what the dining room looked like on closing day.
After ripping up the carpeting, this is what I found in the dining room... MDF. Not what I wanted to see. I had hopes that their might be some hardwood under it so my adventure continued.
After ripping up the first MDF subfloor (and having started some painting), I stumbled across this, more of less of what I wanted to see, linoleum flooring.
i made an end grain wood floor from scratch and saved myself 4000
I went out and found twelve, 8 foot long 4 x 6 timbers of reclaimed yellow heart pine that I proceeded to cut into 1,800 4 x 6 tiles. I set up my Dewalt DW705 chop saw with a 1/2" stop to make the cuts quickly and consistently. This process took about 5 hours. When I was done I was left with a completely filled 32 gallon trash can of sawdust that I saved for later. I had plans for that too.
Here are some of the piles and piles of tiles and more tiles
Along the way I decided to border the room to accent the edges.
After the tiles were set, I sealed them with a coat of polyurethane, lightly thinned with about 30% mineral spirits.
After the tiles and border were set and sealed. I made a mixture of sawdust from my cuttings with polyurethane with a ratio of about 2 parts sawdust to 1 part polyurethane
After letting the grout dry for 3 days, figuring that was enough for the 1/8" wide by 1/2" deep channels to fully dry, I went to work on sanding the floor smooth. I used an orbital sander which took 4 hours, I imagine it took much longer than a drum sander would have, but it saved me a step of needing to do the center of the floor and then follow up with an edger.
The finished product!
I am thrilled with the results and the warm feel or real wood is so much better than the cold feeling of an icy tile, or the disingenuous look of a laminate, which were my second and third, much simpler choices.
Here is a close up of the finished surface.
Product prices and availability are accurate as of the date/time indicated and are subject to change. Any price and availability information displayed on [relevant Amazon Site(s), as applicable] at the time of purchase will apply to the purchase of this product.
Hometalk may collect a small share of sales from the links on this page. Prices updated as of September 16, 2018 11:40 PM - More info

• Linda Hunt

This is a stunning floor and I wish to compliment you by trying it myself on a much smaller scale, but I cannot get the link to your blog to work for me. Is the blog shut down? I would really like to read it and follow all the little extra steps you must have taken to create such art. Regards, Linda

• Linda Hunt
      An hour ago

Thank you so very much for the way back machine advice. This is going to be fun with lots of grunts and groans while my knees add in some cracking just for the fun of it, lol.

• Marlenemorse

How did you grout it? Did u use spacers while laying it? What did u use as adhesive?

• Brett Lipton

I used sawdust & poly as grout & no spacers. The adhesive was a vinyl tile adhesive.

• Sus5555092
    Yesterday

So where IS the subfloor? Under the linoleum?

• John Biermacher
    20 hours ago

Beautiful job. I remember This Old House doing a similar floor in the very early years of the series. I put it on my someday maybe list and still haven't attempted it. Suspect at my age I will have to settle for an end grain table top. Once agin an amazing job.

• Mary Coakley
    19 hours ago

Gorgeous fantastic work and yes timber beats tile everyday