I Made an End Grain Wood Floor From Scratch and Saved Myself $4000!

$468
Advanced

One day I had come across a flooring in an old church and became intrigued, I had never seen anything like it before. It was a wood floor, but as opposed to the side of the grain being exposed, it was the end of the grain. I decided that I needed to recreate this old world craftsmen appearance in my own home. Full details of the entire project are here: http://goo.gl/pV51hA
A few months ago I purchased a house that was carpeted from wall to wall with the most horrible carpeting. Before purchasing it I had done some snooping and after lifting several corners, realized that underneath the carpeting was hardwood flooring, throughout. So, I knew after purchasing the home it wouldn't be much of a task to rip up this eye sores, spend a few hours sanding and refinishing and I would be happy with the new look. below is what the dining room looked like on closing day.
After ripping up the carpeting, this is what I found in the dining room... MDF. Not what I wanted to see. I had hopes that their might be some hardwood under it so my adventure continued.
After ripping up the first MDF subfloor (and having started some painting), I stumbled across this, more of less of what I wanted to see, linoleum flooring.
I went out and found twelve, 8 foot long 4 x 6 timbers of reclaimed yellow heart pine that I proceeded to cut into 1,800 4 x 6 tiles. I set up my Dewalt DW705 chop saw with a 1/2" stop to make the cuts quickly and consistently. This process took about 5 hours. When I was done I was left with a completely filled 32 gallon trash can of sawdust that I saved for later. I had plans for that too.
Here are some of the piles and piles of tiles and more tiles
Along the way I decided to border the room to accent the edges.
After the tiles were set, I sealed them with a coat of polyurethane, lightly thinned with about 30% mineral spirits.
After the tiles and border were set and sealed. I made a mixture of sawdust from my cuttings with polyurethane with a ratio of about 2 parts sawdust to 1 part polyurethane
After letting the grout dry for 3 days, figuring that was enough for the 1/8" wide by 1/2" deep channels to fully dry, I went to work on sanding the floor smooth. I used an orbital sander which took 4 hours, I imagine it took much longer than a drum sander would have, but it saved me a step of needing to do the center of the floor and then follow up with an edger.
The finished product!
I am thrilled with the results and the warm feel or real wood is so much better than the cold feeling of an icy tile, or the disingenuous look of a laminate, which were my second and third, much simpler choices.
Here is a close up of the finished surface.

Minwax 63010444 Fast Drying Polyurethane Clear Finish, quart,...
Custom PMG165QT 1-Quart Simple Premium Grout, Delorean Gray
Achim Home Furnishings FTVWD22320 Nexus 12-Inch Vinyl Tile, Wood...

22 Ideas To Make Your Terracotta Pots Look Oh-So-Pretty
Beautify Your Home With These Flower Ideas
23 Surprising Uses for Curtain Rings
30 Stylish Update Ideas You'll Want To Use For Your Bedroom
15 Home Improvement DIY Ideas You'll Want To Copy This Month
15 Genius Hacks to Keep Pests Away
These Stunning Seating Ideas Will Blow You Away
3 Weird Step-by-Step Ways to Decorate Your Plain Tea Towels
Cut Up Some Pallets For These 20 Amazing Ideas
21 Stunning Wreaths for The 4th of July
Turn Dollar Store Laundry Basket Into Wreath Form In 8 Easy Steps
3 Gorgeous Decor Projects In The Oh-So-Chic Geometric Style

To see more: http://goo.gl/pV51hA

• Danielle Odin

It is unclear to me what you did with the sawdust after you mixed it with the polyurethane. Could you explain?

It looks magnificent.

• Barb

I've mixed wood glue with sawdust to use as a wood filler when working on a project

• Rhonda Cutshaw Hollifield

I didn’t see where you talked about what you did with the sawdust and poly.

• Flipturn

'Just wondering if the subfloor was already level, or what did you do to ensure that the new install was level?

• Wanda Howard

That is beautiful and mesmerizing! I can see me sitting and staring at this (I’m easily entertained). Great job.

• Joseph DAndrea

Old time machine shops factories use end grain wood floors like this. Generally about 3 inches thick. The wood absorbed vibrations from the machines and where easier on the worker feet.