Brett Lipton
Brett Lipton
  • New York, NY

I Made an End Grain Wood Floor From Scratch and Saved Myself $4000!

$468
Advanced

One day I had come across a flooring in an old church and became intrigued, I had never seen anything like it before. It was a wood floor, but as opposed to the side of the grain being exposed, it was the end of the grain. I decided that I needed to recreate this old world craftsmen appearance in my own home. Full details of the entire project are here: http://goo.gl/pV51hA
i made an end grain wood floor from scratch and saved myself 4000, dining room ideas, diy, flooring, hardwood floors, woodworking projects
A few months ago I purchased a house that was carpeted from wall to wall with the most horrible carpeting. Before purchasing it I had done some snooping and after lifting several corners, realized that underneath the carpeting was hardwood flooring, throughout. So, I knew after purchasing the home it wouldn't be much of a task to rip up this eye sores, spend a few hours sanding and refinishing and I would be happy with the new look. below is what the dining room looked like on closing day.
After ripping up the carpeting, this is what I found in the dining room... MDF. Not what I wanted to see. I had hopes that their might be some hardwood under it so my adventure continued.
After ripping up the first MDF subfloor (and having started some painting), I stumbled across this, more of less of what I wanted to see, linoleum flooring.
i made an end grain wood floor from scratch and saved myself 4000
I went out and found twelve, 8 foot long 4 x 6 timbers of reclaimed yellow heart pine that I proceeded to cut into 1,800 4 x 6 tiles. I set up my Dewalt DW705 chop saw with a 1/2" stop to make the cuts quickly and consistently. This process took about 5 hours. When I was done I was left with a completely filled 32 gallon trash can of sawdust that I saved for later. I had plans for that too.
Here are some of the piles and piles of tiles and more tiles
Along the way I decided to border the room to accent the edges.
After the tiles were set, I sealed them with a coat of polyurethane, lightly thinned with about 30% mineral spirits.
After the tiles and border were set and sealed. I made a mixture of sawdust from my cuttings with polyurethane with a ratio of about 2 parts sawdust to 1 part polyurethane
After letting the grout dry for 3 days, figuring that was enough for the 1/8" wide by 1/2" deep channels to fully dry, I went to work on sanding the floor smooth. I used an orbital sander which took 4 hours, I imagine it took much longer than a drum sander would have, but it saved me a step of needing to do the center of the floor and then follow up with an edger.
The finished product!
I am thrilled with the results and the warm feel or real wood is so much better than the cold feeling of an icy tile, or the disingenuous look of a laminate, which were my second and third, much simpler choices.
Here is a close up of the finished surface.

To see more: http://goo.gl/pV51hA

• Krhinca

Where do you obtain reclaimed wood?

• Christine

Confused about what you used the sawdust for? Was the mixture of sawdust and polyurethane what you used for "grout"?

• Michael

Yes. By making that, he made a wood filler, a wood filler grout. You were correct.

• Wendy Handley

How did you arrive at the number of boards needed based on the square footage of room?

• Michael

Let's say you're going to use 4 inch squares. Let's say the room is 250 square feet. How many times will 4 go into 250? This is how many squares you'll need. Let's say you're going to cut them 1/2 inch thick. How many many squares can you get out of say, a 6ft post? This is how many post you'll need. So, out of a 72 inch post, you should get 135 little tiles. 4X135=540sf.

• Betty Marble

This is AMAZING!!! Truely a labor of love!! I love how it looks like a mix of colors. Great job!!!

I love how how it looks like a mix of coot

• Gala McCullick
    6 hours ago

Just beautiful, love the look. There's nothing like wooden floors.