Jerome Schwab
Jerome Schwab
  • Evergreen, CO
Asked on Apr 29, 2013

Can i use a varnish over Super Glaze?

KMS WoodworksJerome SchwabWoodbridge Environmental Tiptophouse.com
+1

I was making a table and i was finishing the table top with Superglaze. About 80 percent of the the table top has dried however the last 20 percent is being difficult. Its been over a month of letting it dry. I was thinking about spraying a varnish over it. Bad idea?
  • Bad idea. If the finish is not drying and the surface is sticky, covering it with a sealant will not help. It will only make it harder for you to strip the entire finish off and start again. It sounds as though the original finish you applied was not mixed well or it was faulty from the start. Check with the manufacture of the product used first. They may have a hot line in which to answer why it has not dried yet. Putting anything over it will only slow down the drying process and will end up failing as you cannot install one product over another product that is still wet.

• KMS Woodworks

my first question is why did want to use this stuff in the first place?...are you embedding items in the finish? When I finish table tops I use a wiping poly, as it about as simple as it gets. the dry times run about 4 hours or so per coat, but I normally just do one coat per day. with a rub out with some 320 grit before the final applications. Super glaze is a 2 part resin / hardener mix, and it would seem that not enough hardener was used or it was poorly mixed. Other people have had this problem http://www.hometalk.com/127389/how-do-i-remove-a-failed-epoxy-pour-from-a-table-top http://www.woodworkforums.com/f9/trouble-parks-superglaze-epoxy-98348/

• Jerome Schwab

Well, my roommate used Superglaze before and was pleased with the outcome and look of it. We took old sheet music and used wallpaper glue to stick the paper to the table top and then used the Superglaze to cover it. Perhaps the wall paper glue wasnt all the way dry or maybe the paper is blocking air flow through the table and the glaze wont set. I dont know. its rather irritating. Might just get a piece of glass and cover the damned thing, but id rather not because glass is pretty pricey.

• KMS Woodworks

If the table design allows...the glass would work. I have seen lots of tables where a lip exists all around the edge, so the glass sets just below the edge. This design is two fold...the first is it keeps the glass from moving about, and the second is it protects the glass from breakage or injury to people. Getting the edges of the glass polished, not only looks good but adds much in the safety dept. Table design with this removable top allows you to change things that displayed underneath. As far as pricing goes..you can take a look at a resale yard in your area. I picked up some glass that was used for display case shelving for about $3 for a 2 foot by 2 foot piece. Get the glass first and design around that.