Ana M
Ana M
  • Alpharetta, GA
Asked on Feb 15, 2012

Turned an inexpensive Ikea piece of furniture into fab! Should I add hardward to the drawers (they are push action) or l

LoriMark popeJjs1326435
+32

Turned an inexpensive Ikea piece of furniture into fab by adding marble from a stone place that lets you buy remnants, a lot cheaper and makes it look expensive! Marble and voila- looks like a custom piece of furniture. Added hardware to it also since it came without the hardware. Should I add hardward to the drawers (they are push action) or leave it be?
AFTER
AFTER
BEFORE
BEFORE
AFTER- marble and voila- looks like a custom piece of furniture. Added hardware to it also since it came without the hardware, should I add hardward to the drawers (they are push action) or leave it be?
AFTER
AFTER
  • Melissa G

Beautiful! I don't think you should add hardware to the drawers. It would detract too much attention away from the marble top. I like the knobs for the doors but don't think you need any for the drawers. I like the black wall as well!

• Lisa M

Beautiful (your art as well)!

• You should post this on Ikeahackers.com. I love the transformation!!

• Ana M

Thanks, I will ck out ikeahackers.com!

• Ana M

Found it, it is without the s at the end! thanks!

• Susan S

This looks really chic & sophisticated! Adding the marble definitely took this from ho-hum to FAB-U-LOS!! The knobs look like they're a brushed nickel finish - perfect for this piece. No pulls needed on drawers/. Good Job!!

• Carol

Nice job!

• Faidra at CA Global Inc

Very well done, that is my favorite marble also, lucky to get remnant as that particular one cn be rather expensive. Your wall art is also exquisite! Might u share the source?

• Pam R

The marble gives it a classy look! I would have added a pop of color to all that black & white. Maybe orange, blue, or green. And I would have completed the look by finishing all the drawers with hardware.

• Ana M

Faidra, the art is mine, I paint acrylic modern paintings- (I do sell them also)

• Linda P

I would not add drawer hardware. The sleek look of the chest without drawer pulls goes very well with the modern painting above. If you had a more traditional painting in a fancy frame above the chest, ornate drawer hardware would balance that look. Congratulations! You've married the traditional look of your wall moldings to the modern look of your painting by using traditional marble on top of the sleek dresser! Beautiful!

• Catherine V

True, marble gives a classy look and is easy to keep at clean. Great idea.

• Ana M

I think I am leaning towards not adding the drawer hardware, thanks for the great input! I have them but have not ventured to drill the holes not wanting to do anything permanent. I was thinking it might detract like most of you have also said it would detract.

• GaStyle 8

Gorgeous!! I like it the way it is w/o any additional hardware added.

• Sherrie S

The marble makes a classy look. I would not add drawer hardware because it would take away from the beautiful look you created.

• Atlanta Plumbing Plus

I like the dresser without any more hardware. I really love your artwork also. Can you post a link to a website where we can view the artwork you have for sale? And, for those of us who live close to Alpharetta, can you tell us where we can buy the marble and stone remnants ourselves?

• Stacy W

Yes, please share the link. The artwork is so unique.

• Ana M

The remnants you can speak with Maria at Crow Custom Countertops the website is granitecountertopwarehouse.com tel # 678-574-4116 tell her the Leis' referred you. We have gone through several countertop places, they are the least expensive, and super professional! It is in Acworth BUT you only go there to pick out your remnant after that you do not have to go back there any more, they come to you for measuring (even if you bring measurement), install and you pay at your home. It was worth it! There are also several stone places on exit 12 on McFarland in Alpharetta BUT like I said I will not recommend any there as they were more expensive and not as professional and personal with their service. Craiglist is another good one for remnants if you can are able to cut and shape the stone yourself. As far as my artwork, I do not have a website yet because If anyone wants me to replicate one of my paintings to buy I do. It takes about a week to do them, I will send you a link to my fotos of my paintings. In the meantime check out my friend Su Daitch's website http://www.artsbysu.com/, she is a fantastic modern (and affordable art ), she was my inspiration to start painting and guided me through doing it myself! Yep an artist that wanted to me to do it myself even though she had art to sell! I have now been doing it for 5+ years.

• Ana M

Stacy and Atlanta Plumbing Plus, here is a link to some of my artwork. Price depends on the size of the canvas you would like to have it made in. https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.194035080704147.42357.194005904040398&type=3

• Stacey D

I love this just as it is! We recently remodeled our fireplace with a marble surround (it was stacked stone) and have left over tiles and my husband was planning on doing something similar to this in our dining room. I also like your artwork.

• Anne T

I love this!!

• Michelle

Beautiful as is - no more hardware needed. Great job and a wonderful idea! Thanks for posting.

• Melinda K

Ooh, I love that!

• Simone F

very nice! My opinion, no hardware.

• Sheryll S

Sure go ahead and add hardware... tacky it up real good. lol.

• I am now a fan of yours.

• Complete Solutions

Nice IKEA hack.

• Lori

Who doesn't love Ikea? It's unanimous, no hardware. Beautifuly striking entryway.

• Mark pope

Ikea furniture i s made of particle board. Even Goodwill refuses to take that. It is filling up our landfills. You can get top of the line quality used furniture for far less than IKEA at auctions right now due to the current and recent low demand for furniture as a large numbers of older baby boomers die or downsize.

• Sharon Doyle

Oh yes, that worked for "sophistocado"!

• Carol Tomlin

Great look !

• Suzie Zim

leave it be...looks wonderful as is without hardware.

• Jjs1326435

I love the Ikea redo. But tell me about the art work too.

• Mark pope

The marble wasn't free. Bet this new custom piece of marble cost a fortune. Would have been cheaper to just buy a high end used credenza that already has a marble top at an auction. Also could have bought a used piece of marble at a salvage yard and Up Cycled it.

• Lori

That may well be true but this piece is filling up her entryway and it looks wonderful.