Beth
Beth
  • Seattle, WA
Asked on Apr 30, 2013

My first 'roadside' find! Now what?

Jeanette SJenny@birdsandsoapGail Salminen
+3

I found a headboard and footboard much like this on the side of the road today... I thought things like this only happened in fairy tales! So excited! Now what to do with it?
my first roadside find now what, painted furniture
  • Kimberly Barney

It is definitely a wonderful find. Congratulations!! I would make a bench out of it. Use the headboard as the back side and cut the footboard in half for the sides. The remainder of the bench is made from straight boards.

• Nest Interiors

Personally I like it as a bed! If you want to shabby chic it up a little just paint with milk/matte paint and lightly sand. A cream would be nice, but a pale blue/gray would really brighten up the room it's in.

• House Of Hawthornes

Isn't it exciting to find something awesome on the side of the road!!! I love those beds as is, but if the finish is in bad shape you can paint it. Or if you just want to make a few bucks you can resell it on Craigslist. If it has the bed rails, you could get at least $100 out of it, I would think. I see them at antique stores for well over that if they are in great condition. I think you call them Jenny Lind beds.

• Gail Salminen

@Beth nice find. You need to decide how you want to use it. If you need a headboard and footboard for a bed, then decide if you like it as is - clean up as required, or if you want a new look for it or even just to experiment with a redo technique. There is lots of help on here and lots of ideas as well. Do keep us posted on what you do. Thanks for posting

• Jenny@birdsandsoap

This would make a cool bench. A little on the long side if you have the space for it.

• Jeanette S

This is such a treasure as a bed. I believe it is known as the Jenny Lynn style. It looks like wood....I would get some dark Old English oil and oil it down good and use it as a bed.