As temperatures climb, it’s more important than ever that your home remains energy efficient.
I was given this ugly duckling when my aunt and uncle were downsizing. It was built for them around 1950. I've never seen one like it, with the drawer on the bottom. After months of staring at it I decided to do something with it. It was taking up valuable space in my small studio. Not that's it's done, I'm not sure I can part with it. It is one of the prettiest pieces I have ever done. I hope you like it.
Decorating for Christmas can get a little expensive. Using supplies for Christmas’s past, I managed to make a mini Christmas tree from faux garland that turned out cute as a button for my son’s room. This easy DIY project took less than an hour from start to finish and was incredibly cheap.
So, whether we like it or not, winter is coming! I thought I'd do a little post about some last minute projects I'm doing to get my yard and garden ready for winter. I absolutely love gardening and yardwork, but when we moved into an apartment a few years ago, I thought that was a done-deal! 😥 However, after talking with my landlord, he gave me full reign of the yard! So I definitely took advantage of it! I planted a garden, made several planters, did some landscaping... and have more plans for next season! But, it's now time to wind down and get ready for winter. Here's a few projects I'm doing to prepare for winter ...Garden beds...
Finding this small desk turned out to be just the right piece to try the gold dipped technique that I had been drooling over for so long. This makeover was done several years ago but I came across some old pics before I even knew about blogging and thought this was share worthy. So here is how this project went down!I started this project in the usual fashion by cleaning and sanding any areas that are rough. Especially with this piece because of the metallic that I have planned on using. Metallics are not forgiving with a lumpy bumpy finish. It needs to be super smooth for the gold dipped look so I took my time with it.
Halloween is coming and we are having a Party this year and we need a few decorations. So I decided to start by making a giant spiders web to hang on the outside of our house.This project started with 15 plastic grocery bags and a regular household iron.
I hate throwing away the nice jars and lids from the candles I burn in my home. So I came up with a way to revitalize them into something pretty to hold gifts or sit on the shelf for storage. I am a constant DIY'er so I have most items around the house to do this project.
This is the perfect dream desk for anyone looking to save space in a stylish fashion. This is a wall mounted with a few built-in items. Starting with the back panel this is mounted to the wall with the French cleat system and wrapped with RF LED strip controlled by a remote. To the left corner, there’s a drink holder. In the middle section of the desk, there is an integrated power outlet with two USB port. To the right of that, there’s a small desk grommet to pass wires through giving the desk a clean look. As a way to stay wire-free, there is a hidden wireless charger. The bottom is removable so if any electronics ever fail you can easily replace it. Last but not least the desk is designed as a two-part system to easily break down and transport.
We are having a Halloween party this year and before I get to all the house cleaning and yard work, well I had to make a few decorations! With these upcycled pumpkins I am calling the front display complete. And I am out of excuses for postponing my other chores.
After seeing alot of other people doing this online, we decided to try our hand at it. We had planned on using 3/8" plywood but after looking at what was offered at the time at the local Home Depot, we chose 3/4 inch 7ply plywood. We got the sheets home and ran it through the table saw to 6 inch wide planks. We sanded the planks to give a beveled edge to them, then cleaned off the dust for staining.After we had several of the boards dry after staining, we took them into the bedroom to put down. We used "Liquid Nails" on the back of each board and tacked each one down with 18 guage 1.5" nails. After all the boards were nailed down, we used a pole and pad to apply the polyurathane. We let it dry for 12 hours before applying the second coat. We then let that "cure" for 4 days before moving furniture on it.We really like how it turned out and are planning on doing the rest of the rooms like this.
As we are re-siding our house from a pale yellow vinyl siding to a new "greige" (gray with brown tint) something had to be done to update or hide the utility meter.Repurposing old vinyl shutters, the eyesore actually became a deck focal point.All I had to buy was paint and hardware!